• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GonzaloGil
    replied
    The search does a LIKE search so yes, typing in

RED

Can pull results that have words starting with, ending with, and containing RED.

Every search is saved and there is a report available so you can monitor it and see what your site visitors are looking for, and the amount of searches being done.

We are looking at alternatives to provide better searching out of the box (providing faceted search), but on the short term, the current search algorithms will not be changing.

Another alternative is to use Google's custom search:

Custom Search Engine

its $100/year, and, there is a javascript API that can be used to display results right on your site. This is a very inexpensive way to get the power of Google Search on your store right now.

There is also a free edition that you can try, but i believe it has ads.

Leave a comment:

• Danab
    replied
    Well, I figured out that I cannot use the advanced search at all. If I do, the results are inconsistent and all over the place. It's a big mess. Turning it off completely has solved most of the issues.

So unless advanced search gets fixed (still trying to explain to tech support whats going on), I will use standard search. I can't really afford to pay the amounts the 3Dapps are asking for right now.

Leave a comment:

• mimib
    replied
    You are absolutely correct that "pin" is part of "pink" and therefore turns up in a search for Pin.

We have discovered the same with any word that ends in "red" (discovered, covered, layered, etc) and "red"

Leave a comment:

• Danab
    replied
    OK so to make it weirder I did some more tests.... I disabled everything except the search by product name (still have advanced search option checked).

Search for "Blue Wristband" and only my Blue Wristband shows up (1 result).

Search for "Red Wristband" and the Red Wristband shows up as number 1, but then every other wristband is showing up after it (13 results).

What the heck? Its not even being consistent with just the product name searches. /facepalm.

So I completely disabled advanced search......

Searched for "Pin" and the first search result is a Baby Blessings Wristband (I guess because "Pink" in the item description contains "pin"??) and the second result is an actual Pin called a "Jade Spray Pin".

GAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Forgot to add that the Blue Wristband, Red Wristband and Red Ribbon search results were better with advanced search off. So I think advanced search is definitely more wonkey but either search is giving me weird results.
    Last edited by Danab; 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cbsteven
    replied
    It seems like even with the system working the way you describe that his Red Wristband item should come up before Lavender Wristband, since the Lavender item doesn't have the word red in the product record, only in the categories menu which should just be in the frame.html, right?

Leave a comment:

• GonzaloGil
    replied
    The search does not count the # of instances of a word, it only checks if the word exists. (Not Google like by any means)

So in your example, i am assuming that you don't have any items with the name "Red Ribbon" as that item would display #1, then, it looks for "RED" and "RIBBON", and, so, that's how you got those 2 results. Both #1 and #2 results rank the same.

Leave a comment:

• cbsteven
    replied
    That is weird.

Gonzalo doesn't monitor the boards very often so he might not see your reply. Might be worth shooting him an email at gil at 3dcart.com

Leave a comment:

• Danab
    replied
    GonzaloGil,

Thank you for replying. Based upon what you wrote I tried a few more tests and wanted to share the results. Maybe you can help me figure out whats happening?

Test search= "Red Ribbon" with Product name, description and extended description being the only search fields checked here's the first 2 results in order:

1. Lavender Wristband - has the word "ribbon" in the description, but the word "Red" only shows up in the categories menu (I even searched the source code). So it should have had a weight of 1.

2. Red Wristband - has both the words Red and Ribbon for the item in the name and description (a total of 8 times) so it should have been weighed higher.

Repeat test search - "Red Ribbon" with product name and item description checked as search fields. = No Results. Why didn't the Red Wristband show up? It has both search words in the item name and description?

I do not see the logic for the weighting system you described working on my site at all.

Leave a comment:

• GonzaloGil
    replied
    The way the default search works is as follows:

If you type "keyword1 keyword2"

It looks for

"keyword1 keyword2" assigns a ranking of 1
    Then searches for "keyword1" assigns a ranking of 1
    Then searches for "keyword2" assigns a ranking of 1

Then sorts the results by the sum of the 3.
    So, a page with both keywords together, should show up higher than one with just 1 of the 2 keywords.

So, the search is trying really hard to find a result for the user. If you like, you can disable most of this stuff by disabling some of the search features from the store settings page:

https://support.3dcart.com/3dcart2/K...store-settings

maybe make it only search on product name.

Leave a comment:

• cbsteven
    replied
    Support can be hard to deal with when it isn't straightforward issues. You will have to explain very clearly why it is a problem and how to reproduce it, with examples.
    Step one would be to acknowledge that it should be an AND search not an OR search. Step two would be to get them to try to fix it.

Leave a comment:

• Danab
    replied
    Sigh,

Support just sent me an e-mail telling me to go to their store and purchase an improved search app. The cheapest one is $60 a month! I asked them if they could at least check the search.asp file and see if it was glitched.

So frustrated right now. If I search for "Breast Cancer Bracelet", it pulls up every page of my site that just has the word bracelet on it including my payment, shipping and returns page.

No way in heck that is working right! If it is, 3Dcart has the worst search ever!

Leave a comment:

• Danab
    replied
    Mine looks like this. I don't know how to insert it as code so I lopped off the http://:

mysite.com/search.asp?keyword=breast+cancer&search.x=16&searc h.y=19

I'll try opening a ticket. Maybe something is messed up in the search.asp . I'll post if I find out anything. Thank you for the help!
    Last edited by Danab; 07-02-2012, 06:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cbsteven
    replied
    Nothing jumps out as being wrong.

When I search my site the URL to the results page looks like:

Code:
    http://MYSITE.COM/search.asp?keyword=keyword1+keyword2&search.x=0&search.y=0
    and it always produces an AND result.

Does your URL look similar? If it does and is producing an OR result I would try opening a ticket. But I don't see why it would do that. I don't even know how to FORCE my site to give an OR result if I wanted to.

Leave a comment:

• Danab
    replied
    I think this is it. I'm not using the quicksearch function.

<!--START: FRAME_SEARCH-->
    <table width="200" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0">
    <form method="get" name="searchForm" action="search.asp" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
    <tr>
    <td><div style="background: url(assets/templates/[template]/images/BG_Textfield.jpg) no-repeat; width: 178px; height: 30px;">
    <div style="padding: 2px 0px 2px 6px;">
    <input name="keyword" id="searchlight" type="text" class="search-text" style="border: 0px; background: #FFF;" value="search by keyword" size="32" onFocus="javascript:if (document.searchForm.keyword.value=='search by keyword') {document.searchForm.keyword.value='';};" onBlur="if(this.value.length == 0) this.value = 'search by keyword'">
    </div>
    </div></td>
    <td width="66"><input type="image" name="search" src="assets/templates/[template]/images/search.jpg"></td>
    </tr>
    </form>
    </table>
    <!--END: FRAME_SEARCH--></td>

Leave a comment:

• cbsteven
    replied
    Can you paste the code from your frame.html file that controls the search box?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X