Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paypal Pro as processor, and Express as an option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal Pro as processor, and Express as an option?

Hello,

I have a new store opening up. I was going to just use paypal pro to start, and when sales get high enough switch to an independent merchant to save the higher rates.

My question is this:I want to offer multiple checkout options, if I use paypal pro as the normal processesor can I also have a paypal logo and allow an express method for those that want to use their paypal accounts to pay? Basically setup paypal twice in in the merchant setup section once as pro and once as express?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Com
    Hopeful Handbags.com

In short, yest. That is how we do it.

Also, PayPal Pro isn't for everybody, but we switched 2 years ago and it has resulted in a pretty significant rate savings compared to what we paid before, even before we use the funds for the debit Mastercard to pay for almost all of our business expenses and earn unlimited 1% cash back.

DaveW

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dave!

I placed my Pro order and can't wait to start the integration!

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Just to be clear you added paypal twice? Once as the main processor and once using the express method so it placed the paypal logo in the checkout right?
      Com
      Hopeful Handbags.com

Comment

I have been using PP Express and I am happy. Due to my volume my PP rep wants me to switch to PP Pro and my rate would go down even further (rates are on the pp site) and I could eliminate the separate cc processor. Customers would choose paypal or credit card like they do now, just that pp would handle all the processing transparent to the customer.

Since switching to PPExpress and putting the PPExpress button on the cart page my split on PP vs my cc processor flipped from 30% via PP to 70% pp. This is what they predicted would happen.

Now that PP has the mobile phone swiper it solves my problem at trade shows.

Swiping cards always gets a lower rate. The one thing that bothers me is the the PP rate for swiping with the mobile dongle is more expensive and in line with what Square and InnerFence charge.

If one has a regular merchant cc account for a website, if you use that for swiping cards there is no benefit of a lower rate (swiping should be lower due to having the card in hand.) To get a lower swipe rate one needs a second merchant account just for swiping and either pay the monthly fees or make it a seasonal account and activate it as needed. One way or the other the cc companies/pp/square/etc all get their vig.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
          In short, yest. That is how we do it.

even before we use the funds for the debit Mastercard to pay for almost all of our business expenses and earn unlimited 1% cash back.

DaveW
          You should open a Capital One spark card and get unlimited 2% cash back :)

Comment

Originally posted by BrigadeGames View Post
            I have been using PP Express and I am happy. Due to my volume my PP rep wants me to switch to PP Pro and my rate would go down even further (rates are on the pp site) and I could eliminate the separate cc processor. Customers would choose paypal or credit card like they do now, just that pp would handle all the processing transparent to the customer.

Since switching to PPExpress and putting the PPExpress button on the cart page my split on PP vs my cc processor flipped from 30% via PP to 70% pp. This is what they predicted would happen.

Now that PP has the mobile phone swiper it solves my problem at trade shows.

Swiping cards always gets a lower rate. The one thing that bothers me is the the PP rate for swiping with the mobile dongle is more expensive and in line with what Square and InnerFence charge.

If one has a regular merchant cc account for a website, if you use that for swiping cards there is no benefit of a lower rate (swiping should be lower due to having the card in hand.) To get a lower swipe rate one needs a second merchant account just for swiping and either pay the monthly fees or make it a seasonal account and activate it as needed. One way or the other the cc companies/pp/square/etc all get their vig.
            We are somewhat seasonal with our card swipe needs. 25 weekends and 3 full weeks per year. We switched over to PP Pro for this and even paying the non swipe rates, it is still cheaper overall for us. On the old setup, we had to have 2 merchant accounts, 2 authorize.net accounts, 2 AMEX accounts, all of which have monthly fees, which really add up over time.

You should open a Capital One spark card and get unlimited 2% cash back :)
            Wouldn't work for us. 1) We would need a mid 5 figure credit line to get through a busy month. Those kinds of credit lines went away in 2007-8 :) 2) With PP Pro, if someone buys something the money is in the PP account and able to be spent on the debit card *right now*.

We are probably 50/50 inventory versus drop ship, but generally the drops tend to be the more expensive stuff, so the money being available right that minute is pretty psychologically soothing in that we don't have to wait for money to hit the account before ordering from the vendor.

Not advocating for PP in any situation but ours, but it does work well for us and has saved us money.

DaveW

Comment

Originally posted by SurfCityCom View Post
              Thanks for the reply Dave!

I placed my Pro order and can't wait to start the integration!

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Just to be clear you added paypal twice? Once as the main processor and once using the express method so it placed the paypal logo in the checkout right?
              Geez, I got so busy promoting PP, i forgot to answer this. Yes, PP Pro is setup as a card method, just like Authorize.net used to be when we had that. PP Express never changed. My cart is just like it was before, with the "Pay with Credit Card", "Pay with Paypal", Google and Amazon Checkout buttons lined up.

DaveW

Comment

Working...
              X