Payment Questions - Which PayPal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payment Questions - Which PayPal?

There are 8 different options for PayPal! And yes, I am confused.

I have authorize.net for my payment processor.

Thanks in advance!

The answer to that really depends on the needs of your store.

The two most popular options are PayPal Express Checkout (the simple PayPal gateway) and PayPal Payments Standard. These are both pre-integrated into 3DCart.

The major difference between the two is that Payments Standard also gives you merchant services through PayPal to accept major credit cards from customers that do not have PayPal accounts (a small merchant fee applies per transaction, of course). In contrast, Express Checkout is a lot more rudimentary and only processes online payments for customers with valid PayPal accounts.

I would say that if you're already happy with your current payment processor for credit cards, Express Checkout is all you really need for the folks who wish to pay via PayPal. But if you wanted to kill two birds with one stone, Payments Standard fills both voids for most folks and it has no monthly fee (Payments Standard is what I use).

The higher-tiered PayPal processing options have additional features that may or may not appeal to you, but do have monthly fees. This is a good table that goes over the differences pretty clearly. Again, I would say the majority of online stores don't really need what the higher-tiered packages have, especially considering that the transaction fees are identical across the board.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Since you have a gateway paypal express is probably all you need. CC buyers would not want to go to paypal anyway.
      Paypal pro is a gateway and would replace your Auth.net for on site CC processioning and add express to your site.

Comment

Working...
      X