How I Hacked My Summer Promotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Hacked My Summer Promotions

One of my manufacturers is offering a $1K discount on their camera if a customer buys one of three video recorders with it. This camera comes with two different mounts (two different SKUs, two different product pages). So here's the problem: how do I apply the $1K rebate automatically if a customer adds a qualifying camera and recorder?

Attempt #1
    I wanted to use the least amount of promotions possible, so I tried putting the cameras into a category together (Promotions Rules: Applies if Products from these Categories are in the basket: XCamera). Then I added a recorder below that as an item that needed to be in the cart (Promotion rules: Applies if these Products are in the Basket: XRecorder). Since the Promotion Rules are additive, I wasn't able to add all three recorders (ex: XRecorder OR YRecorder OR ZRecorder). Not a big deal. This solution should have left me with three promotions total.
    Result: This did not work. I don't know why, but it does not work.

Attempt #2
    That's fine. I removed the category rule and just added a single camera and recorder to the item requirement (Promotion Rules: Applies if these Products are in the Basket: XCamera, XRecorder). Now I have 6 promotions running.
    Result: This did not work either.

Attempt #3
    I added the XCamera to the Promotion Offers area that denotes what item the promotion is applied to (Promotion Offers: Discount Applies to this Product: XCamera).
    Result: This did not work either. I don't know why I expected it to.

Attempt #4
    I removed the camera from the Promotion rules and left the recorder (Promotion Rules: Applies if these Products are in the Basket: XRecorder), but I left the camera in the promotion rules as the item that the discount gets applied to (Promotion Offers: Discount Applies to this Product: XCamera).
    Result: This works! ... but you can clearly see the promotion for both cameras on the checkout page. I only want the one that pertains to the particular camera to cut down on customer confusion.

Multiple Attempts Later...
    What Works: I have six promotions two for each recorder denoting XCamera or YCamera. The first promotion I created for each recorder denotes the specific camera mount (in the description) and is "stackable." The second promotion uses a generic camera description and is "non-stackable." The reason is that if both or only the first promotion is non-stackable, then only one promotion will work. By making the second (again the last one created) "non-stackable" it's the only one to appear on the checkout page regardless of whether the first or second promotion is applied.

I really feel like this should have been more intuitive, and I'm not sure why my first couple of attempts didn't work. If anyone wants clarification on any of the above, just ask!
    Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Interesting and puzzling at the same time. Thanks for taking the time to document your process. Hopefully it is helpful to other 3d users as well as identifying some of the drawbacks to useability for 3dcart.

Comment

Working...
    X