Announcement

Collapse

Posting Rules

Posting Rules
This forum was created to help 3dcart users share tips on getting the best out of the service, offer knowledge and experiences about e-commerce in general, and to promote a positive environment in which our merchants can request/dispense advice regarding best practices.

The forum was not created for 3dcart users to submit requests for customer support. Any support related thread will be removed and a support ticket will be placed on your behalf. If you have technical difficulties please visit http://support.3dcart.com.

The 3dcart forum is also not intended to be a medium in which to express dissatisfaction about 3dcart's service, policies or its management and staff. Threads of this nature will also be removed from the forum. If a support issue with your 3dcart store was not resolved in a satisfactory manner; or if you feel that a particular 3dcart offering/policy is not to your liking, please let us know by emailing [email protected] so we can address your concerns directly.

Again, our purpose is to cultivate a positive learning environment for our merchants rather than platform in which to express grievances.

Very Important Rules:
* Never give away your store administration login/password in this forum.

Should you need technical help, please let 3dcart staff help.
Also, please be aware that 3dcart staff will NEVER need to ask for your 3dcart related passwords.

General Rules:
* While debate and discussion are acceptable, we will never tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
* Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) nonsensical posts, or similar postings.
* Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
* Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.
* We also do not allow posts that are sexual in nature.
* Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping posts.
* Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
* Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.
* We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
* We also reserve the right to remove postings which are in violation of our specified posting rules
* Also, while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
* You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.
* You cannot post advertisements or notices for contests.
* We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our support forums are a privilege and not a right. A banned customer is still entitled to support from the support system, but will not be able to participate in the forum.
See more
See less

"Tabbed" products - does it hurt SEO, usability, etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tabbed" products - does it hurt SEO, usability, etc.?

Hi all,

This may have been asked on here before, but I didn't know quite how to "search" for the topic and couldn't find any threads on it.

I've seen -- and I'm sure many of you have as well -- websites where the products are "tabbed". What I mean is:

One tab would be the Product Description (for example).
    Tab two would be Product Reviews (for example).
    A third tab may be Additional Information, like lead times, etc. (for example).
    Perhaps a fourth tab is Product Q&A's (for example).

My question is: I like how this "constrains" the length of a product page, and is easier to see everything without having to look all over, but...

1) Does it hurt SEO (will search engines pick up on the tab information)?
    2) Has anyone tried doing this, and what was the feedback on the usability of it? Were customers confused at how to work this?
    3) Would anyone recommend doing something like this if you didn't have a mobile site, and displayed this type of product page even on smartphones as the regular desktop look?

Thanks in advance!
    James

We do it on a few of our sites. My research shows that it will not hurt SEO in most cases. Pages are crawled basically in text as I understand it. Hence the crawler sees everything there even though its hidden to the user.

I know our rankings were not affected by adding the tabs.

There is a good post about it here on these forums somewhere.

Heres an example of page tabs being done fairly well
    Example

Comment

Man that looks awesome, and exactly what I was talking about. Will try this out, I like that much better than our current system (product description, underneath that - reviews, underneath that - related, etc. -- you get tired of scrolling down after a while!).

Thanks!
      James

Comment

Here's another example:
        Mushroom Popcorn Kernels | 5 Lbs | Just Poppin Gourmet Popcorn

We started doing it as we collected more reviews, making it impossible to convey other info to the viewers since it was getting pushed down so far (or vice versa where folks wouldn't be seeing the reviews).

It works great. As Ruppy said, the code creating the tabs hides the info from the viewer until clicked or hovered over, but it's not hidden from indexers. You can see that by looking at the page source and seeing ALL the information in-line in the HTML.

Comment

This would be perfect for me! Can anyone give me the HTML code to create tabs like that? Then I can just paste it in Listing template :) I want 1 tab for Extended Description & 1 for Shipping Info (not sure what field I would enter text for shipping info...maybe extra fields?)

Comment

This is an old "how-to" that was posted a while ago. I wasn't ever able to get this to work properly myself, though I would still like to do it. It's definitely more complicated than just copying and pasting code:

http://forums.3dcart.com/store-desig...s-dynamic.html
            Laura Z
            Brass & Silver Traditions
            www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

This is perfect, thank you for the information.

We started another site with 3DCart and we are going to have these tabs in the next site. I think it makes for a clean design.

I was thinking the same thing about SEO, this makes perfect sense now thought, looking at the html.

Thank you for this information, very helpful.

Tungsten Rings with Free Shipping, Lifetime Warranty and Cheap Prices eTungstenRings.com

Comment

look back through my posts. I posted a tutorial on the tabs with the new content. Has the workaround for Q&A

Comment

Ruppy, couldn't find tutorial. Can I get link?

Comment

Originally posted by EmbellishMyWedding View Post
                    Ruppy, couldn't find tutorial. Can I get link?
                    Heres the post on getting q&a and reviews to work.
                    http://forums.3dcart.com/30179-post13.html

For generally getting tabs to work, look at the listing html that has stock tabs. Then you can compare to yours. The most importand thing is that you have a reference to all the proper css and JS for the tabs.

Comment

Working...
                    X