Issue with Invalid Gift Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Invalid Gift Certificate

On our store, we have gotten many non-completed orders with "Invalid Gift Certificate" as one of the error messages received by the user.

I have gotten emails from a few people with this error, telling me that they can't check out, that it keeps popping this error up and not letting them proceed.

I chalked it up to people entering random coupon codes trying to get a discount. Thing is: when you do that, you get an "invalid coupon code: blahblah Coupon not found" error. NOT "Invalid Gift Certificate." At least, that is what just happened when I tested it.

As far as I can tell we don't have anything anywhere on our site about gift certificates. We don't sell them, we don't give them out, I've never created a code for one. Other than the coupon code box, there's nowhere to enter one.

Why would I ever be getting this "Invalid Gift Certificate" error? I can't recreate it. I've been afraid to turn off the coupon code field for fear this will somehow trigger more of these events.

Getting nowhere with tech support on this. I'm just repeatedly (repeatedly) told where the coupon code fields are on view cart and checkout and that if a customer enters a bad gift certificate code there, I'd get the error.

I'm having so many problems with so many aspects of my store over the last 2 months that I'm building a new one, but here is the store where I got the errors and people unable to check out.

https://demojellyrollfabric.3dcartstores.com

By the way, I should add that I have no idea why this is happening and don't have a clue one way or the other if this is some sort of bug on 3dcart's part or something I did wrong at some point. I really like 3dcart and am building another store here (not somewhere else).

Comment

I would suggest you submit a ticket, giving a few examples of orders that show that error so that support can look into this. There hasn't been any changes to the way gift certificates have been handled in V6, and I have not heard of any issues regarding this on V5, so, to get to the bottom of this i suggest you contact support with examples so they can look into your account.

If you have submitted the issue (with examples of orders), please send me the ticket # and i will check into this further for you.
      ----------------------------
      Gonzalo Gil
      3dCart Support
      800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by mdaws View Post
        As far as I can tell we don't have anything anywhere on our site about gift certificates. We don't sell them, we don't give them out, I've never created a code for one. Other than the coupon code box, there's nowhere to enter one.
        This happened to us about a week ago. It was one customer, and it only happened that one time. We're like you, we don't advertise Gift Certificates, don't issue them, etc.

It was strange, and I couldn't find how they were able to do that, but it was an isolated incident. If it happens again, or if I start noticing it regularly, I'll be very curious as to the cause.

However, if you find out what happened, please post it just in case.

Thanks and good luck!
        James

Comment

Gift certificates and Coupons are entered on the same box.
          My best guess without seeing example orders is that a client is trying random coupon codes, and the system is not finding any valid coupons or gift certificates.

If you do not offer either of them, you can turn off/hide the coupons box from the view cart and checkout pages from a setting in the store settings page

https://support.3dcart.com/Knowledge...ttings-section

Look for "Hide coupon"
          Gonzalo Gil
          3dCart Support
          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

My ticket number is #OMB-704-80274. Very frustrating exchange as I'm sure you'll see.

The thing is, when you enter in a random coupon code, you get "Invalid Coupon: blahblah Coupon not found" NOT an Invalid Gift Certificate.

So i have a hard time believing that's it. I can't recreate it no matter what I do.

By the way, I had another instance of this where I got a customer writing that they couldn't check out because they kept getting this error in Feb. Ticket #IAK-812-53321.

Thanks a lot for looking into this. :)

Comment

I sort of trailed off there. This shouldn't be a V6 problem - this error has been showing up regularly though not often the whole time we've been open. I just never bothered to look into it until someone told me they couldn't check out... and then now when our sales have absolutely fallen off a cliff.

I noticed it yesterday again on an incomplete order (though no email from customer) so it seemed time to bring it up.

Comment

The error "Invalid Gift Certificate" comes from going to

MY ACCOUNT (logging in if you are not logged in)

then,

Typing an invalid gift certificate, (and captcha), and hitting submit.

So if you are wondering why that's there, its because your customer tried to check the balance of a gift certificate that does not exist.

If you do NOT USE Gift certificates i recommend that you HIDE Gift certificates.
                Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X