Clone to development site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clone to development site

I set up a secondary "nano" level site that I'm planning to use for development purposes so that I can test changes to templates, etc., before touching our production site.

Has anyone tried cloning a site by copying the /web/ directory via FTP? From what I understand most of the non-file stuff is in /web/assets/db/shop.mdb, so that should in theory be copied too.

I'm basing this on the discussion here: http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...-download.html

I don't remember the exact steps I took, but I didn't bother attempting to copy the database file, I just copied over all the /web/assets/*. After that it took about an hour of tweaking small things to making it just right, but after that I had a look-a-like copy of the site, besides the product list.

Comment

I did exactly this (created a nano development site) and 3d copied everything over for me.
      Chris
      TC Life Safety
      TC Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
        I don't remember the exact steps I took, but I didn't bother attempting to copy the database file, I just copied over all the /web/assets/*. After that it took about an hour of tweaking small things to making it just right, but after that I had a look-a-like copy of the site, besides the product list.
        That would also include the database file, though, no? Isn't it located at web/assets/db?

Comment

Originally posted by tclifesafety View Post
          I did exactly this (created a nano development site) and 3d copied everything over for me.
          I'm assuming you used the store copy "app" or service right? I'm hoping to find a repeatable process so I can easily reset it if I screw things up too bad. I'm planning on playing around with the API and stuff, so it's likely I'll make some big mistakes.

Comment

I definitely did not copy over the db file. I don't think simply uploading one store's db file to over-write another store's db file would work cleanly, although I haven't tried it. I just transferred over template files and image files.

Comment

Originally posted by kgarvey View Post
              I'm assuming you used the store copy "app" or service right? I'm hoping to find a repeatable process so I can easily reset it if I screw things up too bad. I'm planning on playing around with the API and stuff, so it's likely I'll make some big mistakes.
              Actually, I didn't. I told them I wanted a development site and they cloned my existing site for the price of the new plan.
              Chris
              TC Life Safety
              TC Wireless

Comment

Working...
              X