Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Image Management

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of setting up our store. I am curious on how other experienced 3dcart customers are managing your product images.
    • Are you using the stock image management system?
    • Do you size your images in advance and upload?
    • Do you use a CDN?
    • What are best practices for your store?
    • Lessons learned by experience?

Any help for a newbie would be great.

thank you.

jeff
    Jeff

The Wedding Printer

We typically re-size our images and the thumbnails go in a /thumb folder. Each vendor has a folder, then there are images/vendor1/thumb

Of course sometimes we will upload an image directly from the product page, then our system goes out the window. These uploaded images go in /images and image and image_thumb

We use a CDN mostly for banners and static images. If you use the CDN for the category pages you will loose the Quick View feature.

We do most everything via FTP. I can't deal with the 3dcart File Manager.

the size of the large images is a balance between bandwidth and clarity. We typically do 600x600 and 175X175, however now the Find is saying to send 1000X1000 for better positioning. I think that's an overkill.

Making all the images square makes for better presentation. We crop, and add white space to make them all matching.

Comment

I am going to summarize what I think you said.....

1. All product images are pre-formatted to the desired sizes.
      2. The images are stored in folders by vendor and size. For example:
      - images/vendor1/large
      - images/vendor1/thumb
      - images/vendor2/large
      - images/vendor2/thumb
      3. Your templates are hardcoded for the naming structure. (you do not use the thumb.asp?file=xxxxx structure.)
      4. You do use a CDN. It is only used for template oriented images.
      5. You manage your images externally and use FTP for all uploading.

If I understood you correctly. I have a few follow up questions:

1. How are you calling the images within your templates with the vendor name?
      2. Are you manually updating the products to point to the images within the product editor?
      Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

# 3 above is incorrect. We use the "thumb.asp?file=xxxxx structure."

As I mentioned, if you forgo thumb.asp, you will lose the Quick-View functionality.
        We served the images in the category pages through a CDN, but then we reverted to thumb.asp. I though that Quick-View was more important than the band-width and Speed savings.

When we upload products via CSV we just have list the location of the images in the file
        Image1: asset/images/vendor1/xxx.jpg (600x600)
        thumbnail: assets/images/vendor1/thumb/xxx.jpg (175x175)

thumb.aps looks to the product information to find the location of the image. I am not sure, but I think if it finds a path for the thumbnail, it just serves it instead of re-sizing the large image on the fly.

We try to use the product editor to a minimum. Usually to edit individual items when we have to change a setting, or update one image. We try to upload everything through CSV.

Comment

Drop image question

Fellow 3dcart users,

Question regarding drop image functionality, which I do not understand very well. On some products, customers have abandoned because the image is not connected to the dropdown. I would like to connect them, so if "blue" is selected in the dropdown, the image changes to blue, etc.

From what I understand, the drop-image displays a thumbnail, and does so separately from the display images.

dropimage.jpg

It seems dropimage takes the regular images, resizes them, and inserts them next to the dropdowns, I assume via a script. What I would like to know, is it possible to change one of the product templates so that it inserted the dropimage, without resizing, into the placement where the main image normally resides?

https://www.atomic-moto.com/Klim-Dak...st_p_1329.html

Thanks all.

BP

Comment

BP:

I would suggest you create a new topic with your question. Many people will not see your question since it is embedded within another line of discussion.

jeff
            Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Agreed, thanks for that!!

BP

Comment

As 3dcart users post their comments, I will try to keep a summarized list of best practices or suggestions for managing product images.
                1. Pre-Format images. The Product images are your main selling image. Spend time on it and get it right.
                  • Pre-size the images to your desired images sizes (main and thumbnail)
                  • Use FTP to upload images (saves time)
                2. Directory Structure. Define a directory structure up-front. You will have several hundred to thousands of images. There are a couple of reasons to do this. The first is ease of use by product admins. The second is performance. The more files a directory contains, the longer it takes to access the files. One a large category page, the microseconds will add up.
                  • Create seperate folders for main images and thumbnails. If you need to quickly upload an image, you can use the default directory. This provides a history of files to setup and organize.
                  • Use your own folders versus the default 3dcart folders.
                  • Within the main images and thumbnails consider using an organizational structure. By vendor, product line, etc.
                3. CDN - Content Delivery Network. This will reduce bandwidth usage and increase the speed of your website.
                  • Quick View will not work with CDN implementations.
                  • Will require additional work to setup the various images and templates
                  • Will need to work with SSL issues for offsite images.

This is the feedback from one person. Any other suggestions for managing product images or best practices?

jeff
                Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Working...
                X