Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you do shipping rates using XML?

Hi all,

I have NO knowledge about XMLs, APIs, or anything remotely technical like that. However, I wrote the freight company that we use to see if they had an API so that I could have a FREIGHT option (for heavier shipments) directly on our website when a customer is checking out.

I guess the freight company doesn't have an API (I know we use one for our UPS rates on our website for lighter weight shipments...I really wish the freight company had an API as well since it seems really easy to just enter an API number!).

They replied with instructions on how to configure shipping rates/quotes using XML.

So, I guess my question is: am I able to put in a XML code somewhere (???) that will "pull" our freight rate and display it to a customer with an option for them to choose the freight during checkout if they wish?

Thanks in advance!
    James

No, the only way this would be possible is if 3DCart creates a plugin to use their XML.

Comment

Thanks for the info! That's what I was afraid of. It's an awesome freight company with really good rates, but I guess they don't have some of the technological aspects that a bigger freight carrier would likely have.

Oh well, looks like we'll still have to run the quotes manually on our end until the day that they (hopefully) get an API or something that would make it possible.

EDIT: perhaps I'll contact 3D Cart to see if it's possible, and if so...how much they'd want for it...

I really appreciate the quick reply!
      -James

Comment

Even if they have an API, it will require that 3DCart integrates it. The fact that they offer an XML download essentially means that they have an API.

Comment

Huh, shows how much I know. I was under the impression that an API made it easier -- like how when I set up shipping methods in our Admin I was able to choose UPS and entered a couple of credentials (I believe an API number and account number) and that was it. I was hoping I'd be able to do something like that with our freight company.

Thanks again and sorry for the ignorance on the terms and how they work.

I did write 3D Cart Support to see if it's possible and what it would run; hopefully I'll hear back soon :)

Thanks again!
          James

Comment

Working...
          X