Shipping tracking on dropshipped orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping tracking on dropshipped orders

My store is 100 percent dropship right now.

This week an order shipped USPS, but the "Your Order Has Shipped" email with the tracking code returned an error in my store. Extensive emails with the 3DCart support team ensued. They essentially told me that unless I generate the tracking number from within the store (i.e. shipping it myself), it will return an error.

So I asked, can I edit the "Your Order Has Shipped" emails individually so I can add, e.g., the complete USPS link to the email? Answer: no.

I don't know what to do short of editing the "Your Order Has Shipped" template to instruct the customer to figure out which service the order has shipped from and go to that site and plug the number in, which is a terrible idea from a customer service standpoint.

Anyone dealt with this and if so how?

Thanks!

If you put the carrier (UPS,FedEx,USPS,) in the method box and add the tracking number, the customer can follow the tracking from within their account if they have registered. In addition, the shipping notification email with tracking number is sent automatically or manually using the checkbox, depending on your store setup. This covers the customers without an account. We have not seen an error other than emails that are not deliverable because they are blocked by the receiving email servers.

Is this what you are asking?
    Luxlife

Comment

My understanding is that the tracking numbers won't work because I dropship. 3dcart said the shipping has to be generated from within the store in order for the tracking numbers to work.

So I'm wondering how other dropshippers have worked this problem out.

Comment

I don't dropship, but I any high-volume shipper does not generate labels from inside 3dCart. they use a third party app and import the tracking numbers into 3DCart. It works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
          I don't dropship, but I any high-volume shipper does not generate labels from inside 3dCart. they use a third party app and import the tracking numbers into 3DCart. It works fine.
          I know, it makes no sense. Here's what happened.

1. I have UPS set up in the store to get real-time quotes.
          2. The dropshipper actually shipped the item USPS.
          3. I went into the order and changed the shipping method to USPS, and put in the tracking number.
          4. While the tracking number worked on the actual USPS site, it returned an error from the email (that link in the email that goes into the store).

3dcart support said it was because I hadn't generated the shipping from within the store, which I'm never going to do.

Could it be instead because the customer didn't have an account? Or because I switched the shipping method? (3dcart support said it has nothing to do with which shipping methods are listed.)

Comment

You will need to edit the link on your emails and website to bypass the 3dcart shipping html files...I pointed them to google and 99% of the time it works. Freight shipments get screwed up but if you enter the usps/ups/dhl/fedex tracking number into google and search it they will bring you to the correct shipper's website with results for that tr#

url would be
            HTML Code:
            https://www.google.com/search?q=
            and then put the tracking number field code variable at the end
            Last edited by doberer; 11-07-2013, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Update: I just heard from 3dcart that the USPS number I got for tracking is a brand new format. Not even Google has it! But they're working on implementing that in with the development team. Yay.

Comment

what is a sample tracking number?

Comment

Here is your answer:
                  In order for the tracking to work, your credentials need to be setup in 3dcart.
                  It does not matter who ships it or if the customer has an account or not.
                  You need to establish an account with USPS and enter the credentials in 3dcart.

Your UPS tracking work because UPS is setup in your 3dcart account.
                  USPS tracking will not work until you set up the credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by doberer View Post
                    what is a sample tracking number?

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                      Here is your answer:
                      In order for the tracking to work, your credentials need to be setup in 3dcart.
                      It does not matter who ships it or if the customer has an account or not.
                      You need to establish an account with USPS and enter the credentials in 3dcart.

Your UPS tracking work because UPS is setup in your 3dcart account.
                      USPS tracking will not work until you set up the credentials.
                      I was told that it doesn't matter if you have it set up or not. That's why I decided to simply list UPS because it's too complicated to give the customer a choice when they don't really have one (the dropshipper will ship whatever method they're going to ship).

I wish 3dcart would allow you to assign ship methods by distributor; that would solve all my problems.

Comment

Just because you enter the credentials in 3dcart does not mean you have to offer it as a shipping method.
                        These are two separate areas of the shipping setup.

To allow tracking of USPS you have to obtain and enter USPS credentials in Shipping > Settings.

In Shipping > Methods, you set which shipping methods to show to the customer and offer on your web site.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                          Just because you enter the credentials in 3dcart does not mean you have to offer it as a shipping method.
                          These are two separate areas of the shipping setup.

To allow tracking of USPS you have to obtain and enter USPS credentials in Shipping > Settings.

In Shipping > Methods, you set which shipping methods to show to the customer and offer on your web site.
                          I actually do have all three carriers set up with the credentials working properly; it apparently has to do with this brand new USPS number format. Someone earlier suggested programming for a Google link but not even Google has this number type yet.

Comment

I just added this tracking number 92055969010999000000089202 to a test order and it tracks just fine in our 3dcart system. There is no problem with the tracking number. (see image from our site)

The problem is either with your credentials setup, the way you entered the tracking number or date into the order, or your tracking page if you customized it.
                            Note: the tracking number will not track unless it is associated with an order.

Try this (change yoursite):
                            Code:
                            http://www.yoursite.com/shiptracking.asp?trackingnumber=92055969010999000000089202
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by elightbox; 11-10-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Well, now I'm flummoxed, because the USPS shipping credentials test as working correctly; the USPS tracking template has not been modified; and the number was literally just put in as a plain text into the tracking section of the order and the method assigned as USPS.

And yet it worked in your store. Hmm.

Still got an error using the link you posted, so something's not right.

Comment

Working...
                              X