Serious Problem with Increase in Mobile Traffic via phones and smart TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Problem with Increase in Mobile Traffic via phones and smart TV

Since there is rapid increase in mobile traffic not only via iphone ipad android but also through smart tv and tv boxes.

But this is serious problem with 3dcart targetted url ads.

As desktop url site structure is not same as mobile url structure and if any one using it for targeted url marketing there is different structure for mobile site than desktop site. Further desktop url link does not transform to correct mobile url link. Please check details below. I informed 3dcart in DECEMBER 2012 but there is no fix offered to me, else i advertise separate url for mobile visitor and separate for desktop users.

If any one knows any other fix please let me know.

As per my experience and 3DCART support response

The mobile site uses a different link structure than the full site.
    As an example, if you want to get to the Category name1 [Category name1] category on the desktop store, the link is:

http://www.domain.com/Category-name1_c_106737.html

To get to that same category via the mobile template the link is different, please see:

https://www.domain.com/mobile/home.a...ubCat_106737_1

If you copy paste desktop url to your phone you will see it does not
    go to correct page.

If you are advertising on google, bing or other site and using
    Standard CATEGORY LINK then
    You may want to consider disabling the mobile site... otherwise mobile site redirect the Standard Category LINK to main page
    Last edited by myshakamin; 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM.

Yes this is a problem with mobile sites often, and the 3D mobile site is not great in my experience.

I think you will be much better off if you adapt one of the new responsive templates to your site, then the same site will be served for all clients and adapt to the screen size.

Comment

I think you outline a great business reason for responsive designs.

For example, my traffic is predominantly mobile and tablet. Since the first of the year:
      • Desktop: 34%
      • Tablet: 29%
      • Mobile: 37%

If your ecommerce store is not a responsive design, how much business are you losing.

jeff
      Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Thanks cbsteven and jcocking.
        Special thanks to cbsteven, you are really an asset on this 3dcart.

Responsive template is new for me. However getting advice from you, i have looked at it and found some html5 beta template on 3dcarts . Do you think i should go for them.

Comment

Originally posted by myshakamin View Post
          Thanks cbsteven and jcocking.
          Special thanks to cbsteven, you are really an asset on this 3dcart.

Responsive template is new for me. However getting advice from you, i have looked at it and found some html5 beta template on 3dcarts . Do you think i should go for them.
          Thanks!

Yes the beta responsive templates are brand new. I've only spent 5 minutes checking them out, but they seemed to be pretty high quality. It may be worth waiting a bit until they are no longer beta, but in the end it will be a better solution than a separate mobile site. It will be one template that intelligently fills your screen size whether it be mobile or tablet or desktop.

Comment

3dcart customer service told me the responsive template does not support IE 7 AND IE8.
            I updated the site to html5 responsive site but the site is not working in the Internet explorer version 8.

I check visitor browser statistics and we get at least 400 visits monthly from customer using IE 8 AND IE8.

I was thinking what other 3dcart user comment about it.

Comment

Originally posted by myshakamin View Post
              3dcart customer service told me the responsive template does not support IE 7 AND IE8.
              I updated the site to html5 responsive site but the site is not working in the Internet explorer version 8.

I check visitor browser statistics and we get at least 400 visits monthly from customer using IE 8 AND IE8.

I was thinking what other 3dcart user comment about it.
              Hi! I'm going to have one of the support supervisors give you a call to discuss any template issues you're having. I want to make sure you're being helped as best as possible.

Comment

responsive templates

I would like to see an answer posted about the html5 issue. I have been calling for months trying to get information about the templates and no 2 people give me the same answer. I'd love to switch. Mobile is an important issue it would be nice to have it in place for the Holiday season.

Comment

In regards to the Browsers IE7 IE8 and responsive templates.

I will do some testing, but I am pretty sure they should've worked fine in IE8 which is used by 2.1% of the world population. Mine work fine in IE8 and I haven't even added any browser exceptions.

Now.... IE7 0.3-0.4% of the world use IE7. Majority come from overseas which in turn unless you ship overseas is also irrelevant. Its short time before IE7 joins IE6 in the history books.

Just so you know and everyone understands. In responsive there is no IE7 and IE8 browser. So any debate in regards to being responsive in IE7 or IE8 is an impossible thing to answer since it doesn't exist in any realm. Can it be?.... Sure... But what does it matter if no active mobile device uses those browsers.

I just don't want anyone to think there is a question of being responsive in IE7 and IE8.

Hope this sheds some light.

Just my 0.02
                  Shaun
                  TheCartDesigner.com
                  Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
                  100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

that customer service rep in a roundabout way was correct. ie8 as a browser..as a whole.. is not responsive. It does not support media queries which are the fundamental building blocks of a responsive design. There is a js library that will make a nice interpretation of your responsive css sheet for ie8 (called respond.js) but when you hear the term responsive, it will never be natively supported by ie8. The browser wasn't developed in a time where this was even relevant to do so.

Your particular visitors may still use ie8 like you said, so supporting it seems to be in your best interest, but depending on what you are selling, and who you are selling it to..(20 something millennials for example) you shouldn't even concern yourself with ie8 any longer.

I've recently transitioned to a developing for a company that services some very large clients that I can't name - household names that everyone would know - and they don't even bother with ie8 anymore. It certainly depends on who you talk to, but ie8 is in the history books already as far as I'm concerned.

TL;DR ie8 isn't responsive - you need respond.js for a polyfill support.

Comment

Working...
                    X