No crawl for out of stock items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No crawl for out of stock items

I have noticed that I am getting crawl errors from Google on out of stock items that are hidden. How do I keep Google from crawling out of stock items?

obviously it depends on your template how to truly react to it, but "hiding" when it comes to 3dcart can be translated to "not rendering" as the template rendering engine will ignore it if the option is set to hide.

what you want to do is set to display: none in the css (someone please correct me if im wrong) I've heard that google has been crawling display: none content.

visibility: hidden is still not advised to use... ever

Comment

How would I use css to hide an item that is out of stock?

Comment

my mistake.. i've been in the advanced options mentality all day. i made the mistake of assuming that fact. if you are trying to hide a whole product, no.. that wouldnt work well.

It would be a bit hacky, but you could set some javascript to look at the availability for each product (thats available on the category and search results pages) if they are out of stock, you could set the JS to hide that particular product from the results pages. This would still be an issue if someone does a search that returns only out of stock items (the page would still render it but there would be nothing there for the user to see) or if the user tries to link directly to that product they would still reach the product page.

Comment

Just so I understand, under which set of conditions are you hiding out of stock items? Are they no longer available and/or discontinued? If not, then why not just let them display as out of stock? A customer will still be able to see them, but not add them to the cart.

Comment

Originally posted by onering View Post
            Just so I understand, under which set of conditions are you hiding out of stock items? Are they no longer available and/or discontinued? If not, then why not just let them display as out of stock? A customer will still be able to see them, but not add them to the cart.
            Agreed, typically this would be a time for using the waiting list. Its not there but a customer knows they will eventually get it. In alot of cases it will keep a customer from going elsewhere.

Comment

I am hiding them because I have received several complaints that when customers go to my site and see I have 75 items available for dinner plates but then find out, after scrolling down, that only 40 are available, they are not happy. Most customers only want to see what is in stock, not what is potentially available at some point down the road.

I actually tried to get 3D Cart to give me a quote on tabbing in-stock and out of stock items. One tab, on the product listing page, to show in-stock items and another tab to show out of stock items. At least my customer could see first what is in stock and then go to the out of stock tab if they want to see what may be available in the future. Unfortunately 3D said this could not be done which surprises me since I have seen this done on another site. I was quite surprised but...oh well. Bummer! :)

If anyone has any ideas about this, it would be much appreciated.

Comment

The category page has an availability component as part of the template. Use it to show the product is out of stock.

HTML Code:
                <!--START: AVAILABILITY--> 
                      [availability]  
                <!--END: AVAILABILITY-->
                If you want to get fancy use javascript to place an image over the current product image that indicates it is out of stock.

If you want to get real fancy, you can create a javscript that hides all out of stock items that is triggered by a checkbox on your category page. This way customers can decide if they want to see out of stock or not. (i do something similar with on-sale items. I have a checkbox that a customer can check and it only shows the items on-sale on the category page.)

Couple of thoughts.
                Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

For what it's worth, I use categorization for this purpose.

In my product file I have a simple formula that changes "searchable" between 0 and 1 depending upon whether inventory is > 0 or not. So when someone searches they don't see out of stock items.

Then also based on inventory > 0 or not I have a formula that either uses the item's normal category, or changes it to an "archived" version of that category. So when someone visits the normal product category all they see is in stock items, the archived category shows out of stock items only.

For the out of stock items, I also use a different item listing template for the archive category which allows me to use any verbage or page layout I want pertaining to the items in that archive category. So as my formula changes the category the item is in based on inventory level, it also changes the listing template number for the item when it resides in the archive category.

This way, out of stock items are not found in search and they are not seen in the normal category listing either. When an item comes back in stock the "searchable", "listing template", and category values change back to their normal values.

None of my products are checked as "hidden" as a result of this method and all my products are in the sitemap and easily available to be found by googlebot.

Food for thought if you'd like to implement.

Comment

Working...
                  X