restrict display of specific manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restrict display of specific manufacturers

I like having manufacturers associated with every product due to reporting capabilities, etc. However, I do not want all manufacturers/brands being displayed to the public when using frame_manufacturer and such. The concern is that our competition will discover our source.

Does 3dcart have a way to restrict certain manufacturers from being displayed? If not, can anyone suggest a scripting strategy? (Will I be able to manage manufacturer_index.asp in a similar way?)

Thanks in advance.
    Chuck
    - Chuck

PoshPineappleNSB.com

We have a similar situation on our store. To get around it, I use one of the custom / additional fields for manufacturer, and completely hide the built-in manufacturer display. It's more work, but it gives you full control.
    - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Dean,
      If I understand your approach, I could replace the manufacturer widget with code that displays only the brands I want. I could still use the standard link ( href="search_groups.asp?manf=[mfgid]" ) if I wanted to continue using the std manufacturer field, or I could use one based on search ( search.asp?keyword=my-custom-field-data ). That's helpful. Thanks. But I will lose my Sales by Manufacturer report if I use the custom field technique, right?
      - Chuck

PoshPineappleNSB.com

Comment

Easiest way to maintain your sales by Manufacturer and to not give away the info to others would be to use Code names. I know of one company that lists their suppliers as flower names. I think the trick to this is to make the names make sense so that it instills confidence in the consumer.
        Rob

Comment

Oh you're talking about an actual link? I thought you just meant displaying the manufacturer on the product.

Again, we do this: Just create a category for each manufacturer and add the product to it. Also more work, but more control. If you don't want a product to show under the manufacturer, just don't add it.
          - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Thanks, Rob and Dean,
            I think I can figure out a solution for us using a little something from both of your inputs.
            - Chuck

PoshPineappleNSB.com

Comment

Working...
            X