Smarter Search Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smarter Search Engine

How does 3dCart set up their search engine? For example, in the Knowledge Base the word "imge" will show results for "image".

But, if there is a typo in the search word on my store, it shows no results.

You can overcome some of the shortcomings by using the keywords field in the product listing. Placing synonyms and miss-spellings there will help.

see GonzaloGil's comments in this thread for some additional details:
    http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...something.html

Note that the back end search is even less useful than the front end, so I am thankful we don't offer that to customers.

There are advanced search options in the App Store but they are quite pricey.

On the same topic does anyone know what the parameters in the search URL mean or if they can be used somehow. I find that I receive the same results with or without the parameters.
    search.asp?keyword=widget&search2.x=10&search2.y=1 2&search2=GO

Comment

I'm pretty certain those extra parameters do nothing.

I'd like to once again hawk the SearchSpring third party search service. It can be a bit expensive, but I love the functionality. Feel free to ask me any questions about it.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
        On the same topic does anyone know what the parameters in the search URL mean or if they can be used somehow. I find that I receive the same results with or without the parameters.
        X and Y is the mouse position when the search is done
        Rob

Comment

Good suggestions. When we were a Yahoo store, Yahoo finally updated their search engine (free) - based on store owners' demands and it turned out quite well. Seems that if 3Dcart has figured it out for THEIR site, they should be able to figure it out for 3Dcart stores.

** From the referenced 2012 thread ***
          We are looking at alternatives to provide better searching out of the box (providing faceted search), but on the short term, the current search algorithms will not be changing.

Another alternative is to use Google's custom search: Custom Search Engine

its $100/year, and, there is a javascript API that can be used to display results right on your site. This is a very inexpensive way to get the power of Google Search on your store right now.

Comment

You can overcome some of the shortcomings by using the keywords field in the product listing. Placing synonyms and miss-spellings there will help.

see GonzaloGil's comments in this thread for some additional details:
            http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...something.html

Note that the back end search is even less useful than the front end, so I am thankful we don't offer that to customers.

There are advanced search options in the App Store but they are quite pricey.

What is the back end search?

Comment

What is the back end search?
              That is on the Admin side. On the admin side it is a "Phrase" search. So "widget yellow" will not pull an item called "yellow widget"!

Comment

That is on the Admin side. On the admin side it is a "Phrase" search. So "widget yellow" will not pull an item called "yellow widget"!
                Gotcha. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X