Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I find the Ship_Quote.asp page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find the Ship_Quote.asp page?

Hi all!

We have the Advanced Shipping Manager (ASM) plug-in to help our site have more accurate shipping rates displayed to our customers.

One problem is that while 3D Cart is pulling the shipping rates from ASM, there is a pretty bad delay (up to 4-5 seconds depending on the complexity of the items in a cart) where the URL reads:

ourwebsite/shipquote.asp -- and it's just a blank page.

I was hoping to be able to access this ship_quote.asp portion and add something -- anything (like "Please wait a few moments while your shipping rate is calculated") -- so that a customer doesn't think something is wrong during this delay and bounce out.

But, I can't find the shipquote.asp part in our store admin...

Anyone know where this is or how to access it?

Thanks in advance!
    -James
    Last edited by JR123; 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM.

As best I can tell, this is not a template file you can edit. It's just a script for calculating the shipping, so I don't see a way to do what you'd like to do.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! That's a shame, I tested some more today and I clocked one shipping rate at 14 seconds (of just a blank page)... I know it's because it's "thinking" and calculating, but how many customers would know that?

I'll have to get in touch with ASM and 3D Cart and see if 1) it can be sped up at all -- this would be the most preferred choice obviously, or 2) if there is some sort of work-around where it can let a customer know that the delay is while it works on calculating a shipping rate.

Thanks again!
      James

Comment

I would definitely contact Kingwebmaster and/or 3Dcart about this delay. We also use ASM and I believe that we're pushing it pretty hard since we are using both the special bundling and multi-origin zip modules.

We ship from 14 different warehouses, so theoretically ASM might need to search rates for up to 14 origin zip codes for each item in the cart before deciding which rate to show the customer. While this is an unlikely scenario, we do routinely have ASM calculate shipping for items with 6 or 7 different origins zip codes. Calculating shipping on an item like this rarely takes more than one full second.

Comment

Thanks onering! Based on that, I immediately opened a support ticket with both ASM and 3D Cart this morning...I thought that 6-15 seconds (depending on the complexity of the shipping calculation) seemed EXTREMELY long, and we only ship from a single location!

Thanks for the heads up!
          -James

Comment

No problem. Hopefully they will be able to resolve the issue for you.

Comment

onering, without mentioning you by name, I told them that someone had mentioned that, with a complex scenario (particularly multiple origin Zip Codes), it was taking only a second or two.

They said that our account, since it uses the Point and Group add-ons, will make it much slower than if it's multi-origin zip codes.

However, ASM tested on their end and it took a full 60 seconds, so they're having a developer look into it right away to find the issue. I must say, their support is excellent.

Thanks again for your input, and hopefully they get it squared away soon.

-James

Comment

Originally posted by JR123 View Post
                onering, without mentioning you by name, I told them that someone had mentioned that, with a complex scenario (particularly multiple origin Zip Codes), it was taking only a second or two.

They said that our account, since it uses the Point and Group add-ons, will make it much slower than if it's multi-origin zip codes.

However, ASM tested on their end and it took a full 60 seconds, so they're having a developer look into it right away to find the issue. I must say, their support is excellent.

Thanks again for your input, and hopefully they get it squared away soon.

-James
                Hi James-

Are you still using ASM? If so, was the lag time for calculation resolved? Thank you in advance,

-Jana

Comment

Hi Jana,

Yes, it was resolved. The explanation and solution were as follows:

1) Reason it was taking so long (explanation)

For reasons unknown to me, the way that their FREIGHT calculated was taking EACH item (SKU) and the associated quantity, using UPS's Freight API to communicate and establish a rate, and then it would retrieve the rate. THEN, it would do the same thing to the next item (SKU) and its quantity. Then the next item, and the next, and so on.

At the end, it would add all of the costs together when displaying a rate, which would take FOREVER and would be astronomically high since it was technically looking at each item shipping separately* instead of together.

*No, I did not have ANY items marked "ships alone", so that was just the way that it worked "out of the box".

2) The way it was fixed

Honestly, I wasn't thrilled to have to pay a developer @ ASM to "fix" the issue since in my opinion that was a terrible way of calculating freight rates in the first place. They had to custom code our account so that there was something like a checkbox in our ASM account page that said something like "Ignore Item Points & Ship-Alone Variables" (we were using their Points system to get accurate UPS Ground rates, but it was totally screwing up the LTL freight rate portion).

In the end, it totally fixed the problem of terribly long shipping calculations (now it takes 3-4 seconds at most) and their program works very well for our needs.

We have a VERY complicated shipping at our company. Some items are oversized (incurring an additional handling fee with UPS), some of our items are actually bundles of individual items that are sold as one item, but ship in several different boxes, and so on...

My assumption is that people with slightly easier shipping "rules" would have an easier time getting set-up than us. That said, I'd recommend ASM -- once we finally got it and running, it works great and now we don't lose out on incorrect shipping costs from 3D Cart's internal system.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-James

Comment

Working...
                  X