bots adding items to the cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bots adding items to the cart

Every 20 some days, a bot comes to my site and adds things to the cart. I end up with hundreds of 1 item, step 1 carts and many gigabytes worth of bandwidth overage. On all occasions, the bots are using amazon web services. I've tried blocking the ip address but it keeps changing. Firstly, I'm wondering if the add to cart behavior is something that anyone else is experiencing or if I might have some sort of issue with my site's code. Secondly, I'd appreciate a little advice or insight into how others are handling this.

These are the recent ip addresses associated with this behavior.

Thanks

Yes, this is a very common occurrence. As far as I know, the only way to stop it is to keep blocking the IP addresses.
    Laura Z
    Brass & Silver Traditions
    www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

Unfortunately the last time it hit my website in the middle of the night and has used a different IP each time. Also, I didn't know if the adding to cart behavior was indicative of some sort of increased bandwidth usage.

Comment

Hi

Use the IP Security option to restrict all traffic from an IP range

In your example: 50.17.162.137

50.17.162.1 - 50.17.162.255

Each IP range has 256 addresses. Do this each time a BOT creates orders. It is irritating but it works.

Sue
        Sue
        Fabric Garden
        fabricgarden.com.au

Comment

Was it a person or a bot?

I recently had what I think may have been a bot on my site at least once a week for the past 3 weeks. They/It would add my entire store quantity stock to the cart until they could get an error stating "out of stock" for everything in my store. What confused me is it has an account. Can a bot create an account with a name, address, email, phone number? I can't figure out if it is a bot or a person but then why would a person sit around on the computer and add my entire store stock to their cart off and on for hours. When I noticed it again two days ago, I disabled the account but within minutes the person/bot had created another account with the exact same name, email, address and phone number. I thought this was impossible because I thought with 3dcart, if someone tried to register with an email address that is already in use that an error would prompt stating so but in this case, I guess not. The person/bot name is Karmen in Washingington, DC. I blocked the IP address after the 2nd account was created and haven't seen any weird activity from this person/bot in the past two days. So what do you all think? Was it a person or a bot?
          Gro-aut Solutions

Comment

Lavonda

Sounds definitely like a person. I have had people 'testing' on my site i.e. they are looking at 3dcart or another eCommerce solution and are checking it out. If she has given you a phone number - why not call?

I have bots/people adding large amounts of gift cards to my cart from China and France. I sell primarily within Australia - so I just block these IP addresses. I seem to go months at a time with no issue and then it starts up again.

Sue
            Sue
            Fabric Garden
            fabricgarden.com.au

Comment

Bots and IP Blocking

Every online store has bots stopping by. Mostly that is good since most are associated with shopping engines or service providers. I was once worried about the BW issue and all the Step 1 carts abandoned. I gave up on worrying about that and upgraded my plan with 3D. That resolved another problem too; Control Scan. Upgrading was cheaper than paying for the BW they use!

Every store is going to get bots, and competitors checking prices, and visitors that don't materialize into customers. Accept that. You shouldn't consider bots a "bad" thing. You might want to check your Google data for search engines mining your keywords though.

Be careful about blocking entire IP ranges. Those ranges may include potential customers. I rarely block entire ranges. I block ranges where I know there is heavy hacking traffic, like Romania, Russia, Brazil, etc. My customer base is US. Blocking them doesn't interfere with business.

IMHO, stop worrying about bots and BW so much. If you want traffic, why keep "locking the door"? Block only confirmed "bad guys". Be vigilant with them. IP addresses can change.... Pick your battles wisely.

Comment

Would be nice.....

It happens all the time, but is no big deal. I get orders for $192,000.00 - man that would be nice!! hahaha

Tungsten Rings & Cheap Mens Tungsten Wedding Bands

Comment

Yes, an order of $192,000 would be nice, LOl. I blocked that person/robot IP address, about two weeks ago that keeps going on my site and adding large amounts of product but as of yesterday they are back and at it again. They have registered with the same exact phone number, name, address, email, etc. as before but this time just from a different IP address. I guess it is not hurting me any if they want to play around on my site or whatever they are doing. Maybe they get a high off of seeing big numbers, WHO KNOWS. Yesterday they put over $4,000 worth of merchandise in their cart. Today over $10,000. I just think it is weird that I have blocked them twice already and they keep coming back and registering all over again and adding tons of stuff to their cart almost daily.

I am thinking it is just a bot because 3dcart does not allow one to register with the same email address if it is already in use. I just tried and got this error message: "The email you supplied is already in our records, if you forgot your password, click here."
                  But yet this person/bot now has 3 accounts registered using the same exact email address unless of course they registered with a different email and then went in and edited the email after the new account was created.
                  Last edited by Msgroaut; 06-25-2014, 02:52 PM.
                  Gro-aut Solutions

Comment

I was wondering if anyone could help us. It kinda goes on the lines of this thread (and you guys are smart!). So, we dont care if anyone is adding things to our cart, no big deal. But here is the problem we are currently having. We do a lot of 'native' advertising and we are seeing bots come into our site when we change the url for the landing page. They go from one page to another on our site, about 3-5 pages a second - just crawling our site....... The problem...... We then get click fraud about 45 minutes later and we will blow thru all of our funds withing an hour or two. We are talking a few hundred dollars lost to within this time.

We see these bots coming and have all the information on them, how do we stop them? Is there something within 3dcart that can help us?

Any help would be awesome. Again, we have the host name, host ip and all that good stuff.

Thank you!
                    Damien
                    Last edited by damiencaz; 08-25-2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

damiencaz Are you talking about Google Adwords? How can you see your funds disappearing on google? How do you monitor your click fraud?

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                        damiencaz Are you talking about Google Adwords? How can you see your funds disappearing on google? How do you monitor your click fraud?
                        No, Yahoo Gemini. Its been a huge problem for us. We have our live chat from Provide Support (who is great) and the site just blows up with Android users. Hundreds and hundreds bombard the site all at once.
                        Last edited by damiencaz; 08-25-2016, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X