Where to put a serial Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to put a serial Number

We are adding serial numbers to our more expensive products and I am looking for a place to put them in 3DC. The one requirement is that it is searchable somewhere so we can locate a specific serial number as needed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated....

I use my ID/Sku field as our products skus are the serials.

Alternatively you can use the Custom Fields located in the product information tab.
    - Peace
    www.ifilters.net

Comment

I was not very clear about what I was looking for. In a perfect world the following would happen:
      1. Someone places an order through our 3DC store
      2. We pull up the order and pack it
      3. We scan or type into a field next to that particular product the serial number (unique for that actual unit, NOT a product ID or SKU), keep in mind there could be 4 of them
      4. We can later do a search on that number and see who has that unit
      5. Or by opening any order you can see which units they should have

Any thoughts?

Comment

are you using any external order management system at all or is 3dc the whole shebang? Post order information assignment is sketchy at best.. and i dont think you are going to find what you are looking for without something external.

Comment

The best solution I can think of if you want to keep it all within 3DCart would be to add the serial number to the Internal Comments text field of the order. I just tested it and this field is indeed searchable.

Otherwise some kind of spreadsheet or database custom for this might be best.

Comment

Originally posted by jleclair View Post
            are you using any external order management system at all or is 3dc the whole shebang? Post order information assignment is sketchy at best.. and i dont think you are going to find what you are looking for without something external.
            No, we are a low volume high ticket seller so those systems are pretty much overkill for us. With basic UPS integration of 3DC along with CRM we have been good to go until now. If I have to I'll just create an external DB and we can reference the 3DC order ID along with the unique serial numbers but of course I prefer to keep everything in one system.

We could just drop down and enter them in the comments but those are not searchable.

I was wondering if we could work this into the license field used for software that is built into 3DC but I have never used it and I don't think it will work based on a quick look at the support docs.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
              The best solution I can think of if you want to keep it all within 3DCart would be to add the serial number to the Internal Comments text field of the order. I just tested it and this field is indeed searchable.

Otherwise some kind of spreadsheet or database custom for this might be best.
              Weird, I tested it and could not find a way to search for it. Can you share how you did this?

Comment

Originally posted by mueller View Post
                Weird, I tested it and could not find a way to search for it. Can you share how you did this?
                I picked an order that was being processed, typed 'TEST123' in the internal comments, saved them, and then searched for 'TEST123' in the admin area. The order popped up.

Comment

Wanted to close this one out, thanks to cbsteven, that solution did work. I was trying to find the test serial number in the order internal comments by using the filter in the order section of the admin. Using the main search in the top right of the admin it worked perfectly.

We have purchased and tested a barcode scanner and it will scan a barcode into the comments and do a hard return in case you need to enter multiple codes. The cost for the scanner on Amazon was only about $30 so a good and cheap solution.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X