USPS error code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS error code?

Recently I've been having carts that do not complete check out and they are showing "The requested Mail Service is not available for the specified request attributes" in the shipping errors section.

Anyone know what causes that error? Might be losing some sales because of it.

Dana

P.S. I've tried duplicating this with the same customer info that was entered and no error message comes up for me.
    Last edited by Danab; 09-29-2014, 11:38 AM.

I get them and I've been working with support for a few days trying to figure it out. They were finally able to replicate that error and the not calculatiing postage at all on international orders or calculating so high I lose the sale, but I have incomplete orders right now that I've left and not deleted so that support can actually see the shipping issues I'm having. I was able to replicate mine by putting enough stuff in the cart to go over my max set for medium flat rate boxes and it will show that error.

Comment

Still having this problem today. Does this mean the shipping by weight options are not working? I had to program my own method for flat rate boxes since 3Dcart does not list them for some reason.

Comment

It's also not possible to put the flat rate box dimensions into the sizes in shipping methods because it only allows whole numbers. When attempting to get a USPS calculation I'm not sure but it would seem if the flat rate box dimensions are there it would pull that calculation but not so. I keep asking why don't they have the small, medium and large flat rate shipping methods, like the USPS site does for both domestic and international. How did you manage your own method for flat rate if you don't mind my asking? I've tried weight based, value based, I've tried them all. Can't get an international shipping rate no matter what I do and my domestic flat rate has been inaccurate to say the least

Comment

Bah just got the error again. I cannot duplicate it. I just tried using the first class mail parcel setting instead of the first class mail letter setting since someone posted they had issues with that. I sent in a ticket to support today.

For the priority flat rate boxes I used weight. I guesstimated the max weight of orders I would fit in each box and set the weight limit to that. My small flat rate boxes are set at 0-1.99 pounds and the mediums set at 2-10 pounds. I add a 0.75 cent markup and it usually comes out about right. I combine shipping/handling/insurance in this amount though. I do not charge handling and insurance separately since it kept messing up orders at checkout. I advertise the shipping cost as including everything up front so my customers know it is not the same as exact postage.

When the cart under estimates, I eat the difference. When it goes over because I am able to use another box etc. that saves the customer money I will refund the difference.

Dana

Comment

Then you would sure think that mine would work and they do for domestic, although calculating a little high, but not for international customers. I have alot of international orders that they either get $80+ for a 9 pound package (USPS.com shows $53.95), or they get no calculation at all, no error, the page just refreshes with nothing.

Comment

Same here. I don't think i've ever seen them before- until we loaded the responsive HTML5 template.

We've also had plummeting sales since loading them. Coincidence? Maybe not?

Comment

I am getting these errors too. I got with support a month ago and they acknowledged its a USPS bug. Code is available for a fix. Will they ever update it?????????? Who knows.

Comment

Support had me sign up for the USPS web tools. I have never had this set up and its been working fine. So I am guessing something has changed recently. I set it up yesterday and I'll report back if this fixed the error.

https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...ticle/View/556

Dana

Comment

I'm not so encouraged now seeing these posts. I guess my only "option" is looking like I have four options: Purchase w/core exchange Domestic US, without core domestic, w/core International w/o core international and build the shipping into the price of my restored components. This is not really how I want to go about it, but I'm tired of losing sales because my site calculates too high or doesn't calculate at all.

Support told me that USPS requires more information to calculate the price. If the box sizes could be input for the flat rate box sizes maybe it would calculate correctly but it only accepts whole numbers as it's dimensions.

I'm on a responsive template, didn't choose it but I've got it now, but my issues started when they rolled them out, not necessarily by using an HTML5 template?

Danab I've had that set up with USPS since day one and it's making no difference for me. I mostly ship using flat rate boxes and it calculates at the normal priority rate because we don't have the option to choose small, medium or large flat rate pricing for an item in the store. Just "priority" for domestic and flat rate box international with no size options for international. How can we possibly pull accurate rates if we're not specifying box size, so calculations are high and I've tried to adjust with the mark up by going -x% to get as close as I can for domestic and you can log out the international, that's a total mess.
                    Last edited by Toobusy; 10-02-2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Toobusy,

I sell jewelry and mostly small sized items. I pretty much never go over the medium USPS flat rate box size. I don't get many international orders now that USPS raised their rates so high. I have a total of 10 possible shipping choices programmed and the cart selects which ones apply to each customer.

I use the item weight field to specify which size flat rate box should apply. For example if a purse weighs only a pound but I need it to go in a medium sized box so it doesn't get squished, I enter the weight for the item high at 2 pounds. The shopping cart will only offer the customer the medium flat rate option.

I do have some larger sized vintage purses and luggage that I plan on setting up with fedex and their large sized boxes. I haven't even tried setting that up yet. I hope it won't be a headache.

I am using one of the very early templates with no bells and whistles. Its not responsive at all LOL. I am hesitant to change anything.

Dana

Comment

Mine's weight based also, my motors are 9 pounds period. Medium flat rate. STILL calculates at a normal priority rate because you can't set up medium flat rate, there isn't an option and even with 9# (setting from 9-20 because 20 is max for an international flat rate box) no go. I have the international flat rate as an option also 9 pounds and it will NOT calculate that correctly. I've messed with it, support has messed with it and it's still an open ticket because they can't get it to calculate correctly either. Last word I got from support was USPS requires more info and they'll notify me when they have it resolved?

I'll mess around later and see if I can get something to work closer. I even put the $15 in for the medium flat rate (insurance included in that rate) as the shipping price on a motor, won't pull it to offer it. Frustration won on the last battle and I walked away

I offer fed ex also, it calculates beautifully. USPS, not so much, but NO ONE wants to use FedEx or UPS for an international shipment. You think USPS rate for international are bad? Customs/Duties KILL my international customers with FedEx and UPS that's why I use USPS only

Comment

We have had this happen once or twice lately. We are using a responsive template now, but the errors we saw happened before we switched templates. I haven't been able to replicate it at all, though. No idea what caused it. USPS has been really glitchy since their new changes went into effect.
                          Laura Z
                          Brass & Silver Traditions
                          www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? Finally noticed it happening on my site, when placing a phone order. It would get stuck in the Step 3 calculation and I would have to force it back, and could notice the error in the incomplete order error log.

Comment

Haven't heard a single peep from support on my open ticket. Losing sales still and I'm not real thrilled about it. Ticket was opened September 23rd.

Comment

Working...
                              X