Customer Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Pickup

Creating settings for customer pickup in-store is a nightmare. The crude system I've recently setup seems to create more problems than solve.

I've searched for apps, plug-ins and chunks of code, but none seem to be out there that do the trick. Other than creating a new shipping method, calling it customer pickup, and then applying a zero shipping rate, has anybody had any luck solving this problem so that:

[1] Orders marked for customer pick-up are distinguishable from regular orders

[2] Customer can check which store, from multiple stores, they wish to pickup from

[3] There is a method to notify customers when their order is filled and ready for pickup, either by email or text

To make matters worse, we use an app called ShipStation, which is awesome by the way. However, as awesome as it is, ShipStation will want to try to ship every new order. It requires a lot of fiddling around (time) to circumvent the system.

I do know this much, since adding the pick-up option to our site, customers are using it quite often. It would be a big plus for everyone, if it just worked smoothly.

I don't have a solution for you, but I have some pointers, and can describe what we do.

We just have a Local Pickup shipping option with $0 cost. Also we only have one pickup store, so that simplifies things a lot.

For distinguishing orders -- It would be possible to create something that uses your stores API to make them appear a different color in the order list. That would require a developer, though.

I use ShipWorks, which is similar to ShipStation. I have this set so that when I set my day's orders to "ready-to-ship", for any Local Pickup orders it will just print out a receipt, and then email the customer that their order is ready for pickup. Then it is just my job to take the receipt and pick the items and put them somewhere until the customer arrives.

Comment

Ideas

I would consider setting up a shipping method called something like 'Free Instore pickup at ######' set one up for each location that you offer and then set up a custom order status to keep track of pick up orders. When the order is ready to go edit the order to change the status and send the customer an email (using the order status email template). In that email you can include store info, pick up times and whatever else you need.
      Rob

Comment

Interesting idea.

I've searched the forum and poked around the admin panel, but don't see how to setup a custom order status.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondo69 View Post
          Interesting idea.

I've searched the forum and poked around the admin panel, but don't see how to setup a custom order status.
          https://support.3dcart.com/Knowledge...-status-queues

Comment

Thank you Steven.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I’d never have found that on my own. The first place I went was store settings and glossed right over it.

-----------------------

As for the original problem, I’m testing a solution.

[1] Create a Customer PickUp form in Wufoo
            [2] When customer completes the form and hits submit, a text is sent to my phone
            [3] This works, and the phone number Wufoo sends from is always the same number.

Now I need to figure out how to program my phone so that any text sent from the Wufoo number gets resent to several other phones too. That way everyone is automatically alerted to the customer pickup order, and they can take the appropriate action.

Comment

No luck with Wufoo.

The idea was sound, the execution was not. Turns out Wufoo does not use the same phone number each time a text message is sent. Therefore, there is no way to program my phone to be on the lookout for a particular phone number. It changes with every text.

Comment

This part of the problem is definitely surmountable. I would use the site https://ifttt.com/ to look for emails containing the Local Pick-Up shipping method, and in turn either text or send a notification to your phone.

Comment

Thanks Steven, I'll definitely check that out.

Comment

OK, I have a work around that is OK, but I'm not in love with it.

[1] Created a form on FormSite
                    Asks customer which store to pickup from, then they enter their name and phone number so we can text them when order is ready for pickup.

[2] Created a link to that form on the shopping cart page.
                    When they click the link, a new window opens with the FormSite form created in Step 1.

[3] GMAIL
                    The results of the form are emailed to a Gmail account I have when the customer clicks SUBMIT.

[4] Forwarding
                    Gmail allows you to forward emails, and can do so in SMS text form.
                    The trick is to only forward emails that come from the FormSite form.

Here are instructions for auto-forwarding with Gmail.

If you follow those instructions, it sets up a text forwarding system to one phone. It works. But if you want that same text to go to multiple phones, you have to repeat the process once for each phone.

We are using 4 phones, so I have setup 4 forwarding addresses, and 4 email filters. Each phone forwarding address requires its own filter.

Essentially, you follow the instructions linked above, then repeat the process all over again for each additional phone.

-----------

NOTES: I tried to embed the form into the shopping cart page, no luck at all. My hope was to keep the customer on the shopping cart page without having to open a new window. My guess is there was some kind of javascript conflict.

But I'm used to this. Any time I try to dress up the shopping cart I hit a brick wall. It is ten kinds of ugly and I can't fix it. I've tried ordering new templates at $99 a crack, but they are just as ugly when it comes to the cart pages.

You'd think they'd let us preview the templates before plunking down the money. Those high dollar templates should give you better options for category pages, product pages, and shopping cart pages. But they don't and it stinks.

Comment

Found this little tidbit in the 3D Cart promo page advertising features:

Customer Group and Location-Based Shipping Methods

Customize the shipping options based on the location of the customer and/or their customer group. For example, if a customer is local, you can offer various "Pickup" options.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondo69 View Post
                        Found this little tidbit in the 3D Cart promo page advertising features:

Customer Group and Location-Based Shipping Methods

Customize the shipping options based on the location of the customer and/or their customer group. For example, if a customer is local, you can offer various "Pickup" options.
                        We do this by zipcode. I only show the instore pickup method when their shipping address has a zipcode that is in our city.

Also, have you thought about using checkout questions instead of your form fill? If you dont have any other checkout questions have javascript look for when instore pickup is checked, and then unhide the checkout questions field.

You could have a question like "Want us to text you? enter your cell number". And "Which store would you like to pickup at" and use a dropdown menu option of the checkout questions.

Comment

We only have one location, and I've been considering adding an option for Customer Pick-Up. Two questions for those who use a Local Pick-Up option:

1) Do you limit who this option shows to? Such as only the surrounding/bordering states? Thoughts on this?

2) Is there a way to have a special / unique Order Confirmation email sent to those who choose a pick-up option (information like "we'll contact you when your order is ready to be picked up")?

On a side note, some preliminary testing done on a "test website" that we operate shows a shipping charge to a customer, even with Free Local Pick-Up, if any of the items in their cart has a shipping cost associated at the product level. Am I doing something wrong there, or do I need to set the Shipping for each product (at the item level) @ $0.00 in order for the Local Pick-Up option to actually show $0.00 (free)?

Thanks in advance!
                          -James

Comment

Working...
                          X