Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Export - Import Help Request re Extra Fields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export - Import Help Request re Extra Fields?

Hi,

In the way of back story... I've always shied away from using ANY of the IMPORT functions in 3dcart for fear of screwing up my entire store. I've only used the all-inclusive pre-fab "export orders" and "export items" exports.

Given that I don't want to screw up the entire store...

My goal is to EXPORT all info contained in all extra fields (1-13) for all products, make some changes in excel, IMPORT the revised extra field info for all products.

I need some step-by-step (where do I start, what do I do, etc) on how to do this in the least risky way so that my chances of screwing up my whole store are at an absolute minimum.

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Step 1: In 3dcart - Products>Export/Import>Export Data

Step 2: Open created export.csv in Excel

Step 3: Delete all columns in Excel with the exception of ID and all extra fields

Step 4: Update Extra fields with new data

Step 5: Save file as import.csv with type of CSV

Step 6: In 3dcart - Products>Export/Import>Products>Browse: Find import.csv file

Step 7: In 3dcart - Products>Export/Import>Products>Import Data: Update only

Done. Easy-peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by hoosierdraft View Post
      Step 1: In 3dcart -
      Step 7: In 3dcart - Products>Export/Import>Products>Import Data: Update only

Done. Easy-peasy.
      UPDATE ONLY is the most important part of those instructions. Selecting any of the other options will have you regretting life in general.

Suggestion - download the file - select a few items to change and then upload only the ones you have changes. Check them to make sure you did it right then do more.

3Dcart does have limitations on the size of a file that you can upload. If you upload to large a file the system will sometimes just fail - with files that are only a bit too large some of the items will upload but not all and you have to check the progress report to see how many were updated.

Any questions or concerns let me know as I have probably encountered just about everything with importing to 3Dcart.
      Rob

Comment

It is good practice to Save all downloaded files and add a descriptor to the name to make sense to you.

Save modified files in an "Upload" Sub-folder, and Upload into 3dcart from here.

You will always have the original in case of disaster.

3dcart also saves the last few versions of exports in the Assets/Exports folder.

Comment

hoosierdraft, Awesome, elightbox THANK YOU!

Hoosierdraft, that's exactly what I was looking for, and Awesome & elightbox thank you for the extra pointing out of those details. Honestly, I didn't even see the "update only" part of the original answer until re-reading it after Awesome's comment.

I would have printed out the steps and read them a few times before doing anything so I'm hopeful I would have caught it. Great idea to test with just a few.

So based on the answer, I'm going to *assume* that ID is the "KEY" field that the import is driven off?

Someone check me on this:
          1. ID is the key field and always has to be included.

2. You can upload only the columns (fields) you want to affect and those not included in the file will be ignored.

3. You can upload only the rows (products) you want to affect and those not included in the file will be ignored.

Thanks.

Comment

UDATE - FAIL :o(

So, I'm not sure why I was surprised that this failed for no apparent reason. (And I'll take my licks if I'm missing something...)

I took your advice and decided to only test this on a single product. I deleted all fields except for catalogid, id, name, and all the extra fields. I decided to try it like this because I thought that having the product name still in there would make reviewing the file and making additional changes easier.

Here's a screen cap of the failure message along with a view of some of the actual CSV file.

How in the world could one line of data (plus header) be interpreted as 4 records? (A record = a row) There are only 2 lines in the entire file. AND just to be safe, I selected about a hundred rows and cleared them so there was no chance of extraneous data.

I used UPDATE ONLY as instructed.

WTF Anyone?

<<Well, the attached photo looks like cr*p and is unreadable so here's what the import report says:

Total records: 4
            Inserted: 0
            Updated: 1
            Deleted: 0
            Failed: 3 (show/hide error log)

Line* Error
            3 General error - please check the file and try again.
            4 General error - please check the file and try again.
            5 General error - please check the file and try again.
            *including the header

And, once again, to be clear (if you could see the spreadsheet part shown in the attached photo), there is a header row and one row of data.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JustPoppin; 10-30-2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Looks like the one item you wanted to update, did so successfuly.

However, it seems like there were three additional rows that had something in the Excel sheet and they were considered bad rows. This could be anything a space, some hidden Excel special character, or whatever.

You can disregard this error.

I would highlight the whole rows, right click, and select Delete. Don't just highlight the cells. This way you make sure nothing is left.

Also, if you have a column with no valid header name, the upload will fail. You can have empty cells, as long as they have a valid column header, and a row Key (id, catalogid, or both)

You can also upload with Catalogid, and any other field. Either id, or Catalogid can be the main KEY.

Comment

UDATE - FAIL, Again.

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                Looks like the one item you wanted to update, did so successfuly.
                Yes, it did.

However, it seems like there were three additional rows that had something in the Excel sheet and they were considered bad rows. This could be anything a space, some hidden Excel special character, or whatever.

You can disregard this error.

I would highlight the whole rows, right click, and select Delete. Don't just highlight the cells. This way you make sure nothing is left.
                There was nothing else in that sheet. For a 2 row sheet, I highlighted about 100 rows and deleted them. There was nothing there.

Also, if you have a column with no valid header name, the upload will fail. You can have empty cells, as long as they have a valid column header, and a row Key (id, catalogid, or both)
                That makes sense - pretty standard import/export policy.

You can also upload with Catalogid, and any other field. Either id, or Catalogid can be the main KEY.
                Good to know.

So I tried again. This time, I deleted all columns except ID and extra fields.
                - Had header row and 2 rows of data this time.
                - Selected the 100 rows below row 3 and cleared them. (So if an error came up, it would have to be for row 104 or above - that's not what happened.)

This time, got errors for rows 4, 5, and 6 of a 3 row file.

This is utterly ridiculous.

How can I be sure that stuff someplace else in the store isn't being screwed up by this if the store can't count just 2 records properly? How can I do an import for hundreds of items and be sure I won't screw anything up?

Soooooooo frustrated.
                Attached Files

Comment

>>> I highlighted about 100 rows and deleted them. There was nothing there.

When you delete rows there can be residual info. No other program in the world will see it but 3D does!. It is fully ignorable but if it bothers you then I suggest you do all your changes to the file then highlight the fields/rows you want and copy them to a new spreadsheet.
                  The other way to remove those errors is to delete all the rows to the end of the file go to the top left field click in it and then save as an Excel file. When you save next time as a CSV file the residual info will be gone.

Sometimes when editing large spreadsheets and doing changes to the file you may get an error for unrecognized fields - duplicate fields can cause it, empty headers or sometimes just 3Dcart's sensitivity. Doing a copy and paste to a new file is the way to fix it if all else is good.
                  Rob

Comment

My best guess is that there is an issue with your line endings. Are you working on a Mac? Your text editor should be able to let you select the Line Endings or Line Encoding. Set it to Windows-style.

Comment

UPDATE: It Worked!

CBSTEVEN: Working in PC :-P

AWESOME: I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. Prior to this latest try (just now, on which I will report), I deleted all extraneous info, columns, rows, etc. But still got errors as reported.

So, taking your advice, I actually selected ONLY the data in the sheet (something like A1 through P20) and then pasted that onto a new sheet and saved as a new CSV. And it worked. No errors.

It's sort of ridiculous. Been doing sophisticated database exports, imports on all kinds of systems for 30 years, NEVER dealt with anything like this. But, such as it is. At least I know that a few, ridiculous and normally unnecessary steps will have things working fine, so I'll do it. Thanks again!

Comment

>>> I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself.

I am sure there are a lot of users that cannot believe this happens!

It is frustrating when an import fails due to this issue but knowing how to fix it does calm the nerves a bit.

I sent you a PM a few days back with some info.
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome View Post
                          >>> I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself.

I am sure there are a lot of users that cannot believe this happens!

It is frustrating when an import fails due to this issue but knowing how to fix it does calm the nerves a bit.

I sent you a PM a few days back with some info.

Indeed. And thx 4 PM. Replied. :-)

Comment

Completed Successfully

A quick note to close out this post and state that I got the task done without a hitch.

For safety's sake, I broke the file down into 16 smaller subsets of records and went through all the stuff we talked about here with respect to using new sheets to be sure there's nothing in any of the additional columns or rows that would have caused trouble in the upload.

It's a pain in the neck but worth it for piece of mind.

Comment

Working...
                            X