Labeling items as new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labeling items as new

We would love to label our newly added items (those defined by the smart category "top 50 new releases") with an icon or badge in the same way the sale items are labeled. Has anyone figured out a way to do that?
    Shelly Gardner-Alley
    www.papermojo.com

I would be interested in this as well. All I have done is set the default sort so the newest items are first in a category.

Dana

Comment

Yes, we have found that in our field, promoting a product as new does as much to sell it as putting it on sale, and sometimes even promotes it better. I am not a programmer but figure that I might be able to write a simple script if I could just find something unique to test for. But I can't find anything. sorting by new helps a bit but does nothing to draw a customer's attention.
      Shelly Gardner-Alley
      www.papermojo.com

Comment

One way off the top of my head.. you could use an extra field to store the date that you add the item.
        You could then add a "New item" badge to your template which shows/hides depending on the extra field date value.

Kind of a hack, but once you get it set up it could be effective.

Comment

Thanks so much for your suggestion. That may do as a usable workaround. From what I can tell, dates are tricky in Javascript so I would not be able to cobble the script together myself. I guess I need to find a Javascript tech. Suggestions anyone? Maybe 3dcart will write the script and include it in the purchased apps. I bet it would sell.
          Shelly Gardner-Alley
          www.papermojo.com

Comment

I could help you with the script. Feel free to PM me.

Comment

chimerastudio I like your shop by color navigation in the left column! How did you implement that?
              www.gogglesandglasses.com

Comment

Thanks Goggles! It is actually a hard coded set of links. I moved up the Global Left Banner tag in the frame.html file. The code is entered into the Global Left Banner field in the back office administration so it is easy to change, if needed. It would be possible to do something similar with the FRAME_CATEGORY_X code block, but that would work best with text links. With the FRAME_CATEGORY_X code block, the categories would be pulled dynamically from the database. I tried to use image tags in the category names so the color blocks would show, but it just got way too messy.
                Shelly Gardner-Alley
                www.papermojo.com

Comment

Working...
                X