X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JustPoppin
    replied
    Originally posted by TMS Clint View Post
    If you've already checked your Store Settings to make sure both Pages and Categories are searchable,
    Yes, they are. We often "hide" pages, categories, etc so that they don't show up in menus, etc but are still viewable via direct links we might use in the site and they have always shown up fine when searched for

then I would just clear your store's cache... though search results don't seem affected by the cache, what items appear on category pages do.
    Yes, we do clear the cache regularly while working on the site.

I noticed that this page is a Category page (ends in "_c_119.html"), is that right?
    Yes, that is correct.

When I search for "sorghum" this page shows up in the results:
    http://shop.justpoppin.com/Popping-Sorghum_c_47.html
    Yes, that's working correctly.

But when I search for "faq" this page does not:
    http://shop.justpoppin.com/FAQ_c_59.html

I don't know the answer, but I'd start my research there.
    Hmm, that one is interesting. That IS a category page which we directly link to from our customized 'top menu' but which we don't want to show up in our categories listed in our left menu.

I find a similar discrepancy when I search for the word "video". Our main video category page does not show up but SOME of the individual videos (also on category pages) do show up, but under the PAGE RESULTS heading. No idea where the rest of them are, OR why they're NOT under the Category Results heading.

Needless to say, the Category Results that show up from search are formatted like cr*p, compared to the Page Results which look fine.

Here's another example of discrepancies: when searching for "popcorn balls", the 2 popcorn ball recipe pages (cat pages) we have do NOT come up, THOUGH if you search for the word HONEY or the word HALLOWEEN, they DO come up - in the Page Results section even though they are category pages. We can't figure out the reason behind a discrepancy like that.

What happens in site search and the subsequent results doesn't make complete sense to us and we're having a tough time nailing down the parameters.

I'll close by saying that Site Search has been a thorn in our side since we started with 3dcart. How great it was back at the beginning to create bunches of pages full of content only to find that they could not be found AT ALL through site search because "extra pages" weren't included! So then we had to create this paradigm of using category pages for content pages just to get them searchable.

Leave a comment:

• TMS Clint
    replied
    If you've already checked your Store Settings to make sure both Pages and Categories are searchable, then I would just clear your store's cache... though search results don't seem affected by the cache, what items appear on category pages do.

I noticed that this page is a Category page (ends in "_c_119.html"), is that right? When I search for "sorghum" this page shows up in the results:
    http://shop.justpoppin.com/Popping-Sorghum_c_47.html

But when I search for "faq" this page does not:
    http://shop.justpoppin.com/FAQ_c_59.html

I don't know the answer, but I'd start my research there.

Leave a comment:

• JustPoppin
    started a topic Page Not Showing Up in Site Search

Page Not Showing Up in Site Search

We often use category pages as content pages because until recently, 3dcart "Extra Pages" were not searched via the site search tool.

Since we've been using 3dcart for so long, and that's how we had to do it for such a long time, we've continued the practice and it's usually no problem.

But we have one page that just won't show up as a result in site search no matter what.

Here's the URL:

Danny Sams III Racing Sponsorship

Anyone have any ideas? We're strapped.

Thanks.
Working...
X