Full site backup / download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full site backup / download

Does anyone backup their entire 3dcart store? How do you do it and to where do you do it?

We have a Wordpress blog and installed a plugin that easily and with no action from me backs the blog up to the Amazon S3 service for a few pennies a month.

I'd love to be able to do this with our 3dcart store.

Ideas?

Thanks
    Buck

You can do this easily via FTP. Just connect and download everything in your /web/ directory. There are some clients that can be configured to do this automatically on a schedule.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is that absolutely EVERYTHING? Is anything at all missed by doing this?

Also, does anyone use tools like HTTRACK to create a local copy of their site?

Thanks!

Comment

I can't think of anything that is missed. A lot of it will be stored inside an Access database called at /web/assets/shop.mdb, and is not easily inspectable, but it is there and backup-able

Comment

Thanks very much. We're backing up now.

Care to venture a guess as to what's locked up in that database file as opposed to easily viewable/discoverable?

Should something catastrophic happen to the site or to 3dcart themselves, I'm curious as to how much we'd be able to recreate from this back up of the /web/ folder versus how much is locked up in some un-readable format (like trying to open a PDF in notepad). How much would we have to start from scratch on?

Comment

So the FTP download seems to have been successful but a bunch of ASP files are showing as 'failed'. I'm guessing that this is not really a problem though since those are dynamic and bring in info from other files that DID get backed up. Do I have that correct?

Comment

Yeah, some of the files will be restricted, but the ASP is just part of their code to bring in your data. No worries.

Comment

When you do this backup of your whole website, does it also backup all of the images?

Sunshine Daydream Hippie Shop
                www.sunshinedaydream.biz

Comment

Images are contained in a subdirectory, usually /web/assets/images, so yes if you download the entire /web/ directory then images would be included.

Comment

Downloading from FTP would not back up the following:
                    • Headers and Footers: for frame
                    • Site Content pages (extra pages and menu pages)
                    • e-mail templates
                    • system messages
                    • Store Language
                    • Titles and Content: Headers and Footers of site pages

These above have to copy/pasted to backup.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                      Downloading from FTP would not back up the following:
                      • e-mail templates
                      • system messages
                      • Store Language

These above have to copy/pasted to backup.
                      Aren't these all stored in the Shop.mdb database?

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
                        I just looked at my file directory in FTP, and I do not see /web/assets/shop.mdb in my file tree. The only listings under the assets directory are brand, db, db/plugins, exports, images, order_images, and templates.

Could someone please tell me where the shop.mdb might be, or at least where these items would be, as that's why i'm looking for shop.mdb?

• e-mail templates
                        • system messages
                        • Store Language

I also have a question about the web/assets/templates directory. If I save the entire /webs/ directory, wouldn't that be saving every template for every design? Wouldn't I need only the /common one and my specific template, to catch any template mods I've made?

Thanks!

Comment

It's in the db folder you already found, but did not look inside.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
                            It's in the db folder you already found, but did not look inside.
                            Ah, yes, you're correct - it IS there, didn't look hard enough! Thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by cbsteven View Post
                              Not if your site runs on SQL, then the shop.mdb will not contain your information. You would have to use API to backup if you know how. I don't!

Comment

Working...
                              X