setting a directory for world-read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting a directory for world-read

i have a directory of a couple hundred PDFs, all neatly organized in to sub directories (and even sub-sub directories)

unfortunately, when i create a new directory manually on the 3DCart servers, I can't set the folder permissions for public read...so, anyone trying to read:

mydomain.com/assets/Downloads (or any other directory for that matter) gets a "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied."

I realize the security implications of giving world-read, and am not trying to circumvent. Rather, is there a neat workaround aside from hand coding the URLS to hundreds of files?

I've tried a couple of different ways of creating a new page and linking to the contents of the directory with zero success.

Surely im not the only one that would find this functionality useful.

thanks.

Try putting the directory somewhere else. I have created directories inside /web/assets/images before, such as /web/assets/images/blog, which I can read from a browser.

Comment

can you actually read the contents of the directory?

like: http://www.yoursite.com/assets/images/blog

or do you have to define the file like: http://www.yoursite.com/assets/images/blog/myfile.jpg

because only the former would work for my needs...i need a listing of what's in the directory, not just access to it.

Comment

Oh, I misunderstood. No, no directory listing. I can't think of a workaround for this off the top of my head. You'll probably have to end up using excel to create URLs.

Comment

i ended up finding a hosting site that provides 5gb data/10gb throughput/mo for free AND allows directory listing. So, I'm just storing my files there and hyperlinking to them.

A quick find/replace routine stripped out 3DCart's address and prepended the 3rd party address to our paths.

For our needs, this works fine. A little bit of a nuisance not to have full control of our directories on 3DCart. But, works nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
          X