Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you have a custom message for shipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you have a custom message for shipping?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to do the following:

Scenario:
    A customer adds items to their cart that equal a lot of weight (like 300 pounds or more). Right now, only UPS and USPS rates show as shipping options...which can get rather pricey for a shipment of this caliber.

Ideal Solution, if possible:
    Is there a way to put a variable in the "Choose Shipping Method" portion (Checkout Step 2) where:

IF [Total Cart Weight] > 300 pounds, THEN [Message displays: "For an order of this size, freight shipment may be a less expensive alternative. Please contact us for details."]

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    James

Sounds like you need to change your current shipping methods to max out at 300lbs, then make a NEW shipping method that requires AT LEAST 300lbs, which will be named/labeled what you wanted.

Comment

Certainly a good idea! I currently have something very similar (it's an error message that pops up after 300 pounds that says "Please contact us for a freight quote").

I was hoping to have the message display, rather than the error message, so that customers would still have the option of choosing, say UPS Ground, if they feel that the rate is amicable (also my message would further explain that, typically, the UPS rate shown is best for residential addresses, and freight wouldn't likely be the best option unless it's a commercial address).

But, still a great idea, at least in the interim. I appreciate the advice!!

Comment

Originally posted by JR123 View Post
        Certainly a good idea! I currently have something very similar (it's an error message that pops up after 300 pounds that says "Please contact us for a freight quote").

I was hoping to have the message display, rather than the error message, so that customers would still have the option of choosing, say UPS Ground, if they feel that the rate is amicable (also my message would further explain that, typically, the UPS rate shown is best for residential addresses, and freight wouldn't likely be the best option unless it's a commercial address).

But, still a great idea, at least in the interim. I appreciate the advice!!
        What about just making a new shipping method at 300+lbs, skipping the previous step of hiding the UPS rates? How did you want the message to display? A pop-up? A blurb underneath the freight method on the checkout page?

Comment

Thanks CPR Savers! Yes, that was the idea (not really a pop-up, more of a text blurb that displays when a certain weight threshold is met).

I essentially would like the UPS rate to appear up to, say 400 total pounds of products in the cart (after that, the error message would pop up that says to contact us for a freight quote). HOWEVER, the text blurb would display in the shipping rates section after, for example, 300 pounds of products in the cart. So, the UPS shipping rate would still show, but also a text blurb that says to the customer, "Hey, freight may be a better option if you meet these criteria. Contact us and we would be happy to look into it for you".

If they don't want to contact us (maybe they don't meet the freight criteria, maybe they don't have time to wait, etc.), they can still choose the UPS rate that shows.

I at least want to let these types of customers know that there may be a different shipping option available to save them money.

Thanks!
          James

Comment

Working...
          X