Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else have issues with search results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else have issues with search results?

Currently a search with multiple words will not give items any propriety if one of the search terms is 3 letters or less.

Example of this includes these three searches, each should pull the exact same results on my site (bmikarts.com), but don't for this reason:

"Rover" + "Carb" = correct results
    "CUV" + "Carb" = terrible results
    "UTV" + "Carb" = terrible results

This issues affects every client of 3dcarts. How many users search by terms like "red shirt", "car wash", or "sewing kit" and get a terrible result because of this 3 letter word issue.

My request to have this fixed has been answered with "There are 3rd party options available for customers that may require a more robust search feature."

I am not looking for a more robust search. This is a very standard type search, and is already included in all other ecommerce software (Volusion, CommerceV3, Miva Merchant, 7Cart). All I want is 3dcart to fix a known problem with their algorithm.

Don't know if you saw this post or not, but we had a discussion running about search issues last summer. Gonzalo Gil actually jumped in and explained a few things about how the search works. Doesn't really help solve your (our) problems, but at least you'll understand 3dCart's position on the issue.

http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...something.html

--mimib

Comment

Thanks for directing me to the post.

Mr. Gils explanation is fine and makes sense. However what doesn't make sense is both "keyword1 keyword2" have to 4 letter words or longer for the to issue a ranking.

I am not a programmer so I don't know the answer, but is it really difficult to change a search algorithm to look at a 3 letter word versus a 4?

To a laymen web designer like myself, that seams to be a quick Search and Replace type updated to the file.

Comment

More issues with this

This error is becoming more and more a pain.

Other Searches affected: "clone key" "tav cover".

My customers and I shouldn't have to think of four letter words to get an accurate search result.

Please fix this massive error with your search engine.

Comment

I believe this was changed in the most recent update to allow each store to set the character requirement.

See the notes for more info
          http://forums.3dcart.com/announcemen...s-5-1-1-a.html

Comment

Originally posted by Shopguy View Post
            I believe this was changed in the most recent update to allow each store to set the character requirement.

See the notes for more info
            http://forums.3dcart.com/announcemen...s-5-1-1-a.html

You are correct. It appears to be working correctly now event with multiple word searches.

Thanks,
            Chad

Comment

Working...
            X