UPS Rates Miscalculating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS Rates Miscalculating

Is anyone else suddenly having a problem with 3dCart quoting UPS rates that are way too low? This hasn't been an issue for us in the past, but our UPS prices, for expedited shipping in particular, are way off base this week. They have been off by over $15.00 per package. I submitted a ticket yesterday, but I was curious to see if this was a problem for anyone else.
    Laura Z
    Brass & Silver Traditions
    www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

There are some settings that can affect this, for example, if UPS is picking up the package or you are taking it to a pickup station (Pickup type on the shipping settings). Also residential/business makes a difference of a few dollars for the same address sometimes.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Yes, thank you. I am aware of all those things. We are using the exact same settings we have been using for years, though, and we never had this issue before.
      Laura Z

Comment

Funny I was just about to post something here asking if there's a plug-in/app that is better / more accurate than the built-in 3D Cart shipping calculator.

I know they say it pulls live rates from UPS, but if you ship boxes that are over 30 inches on any side of the box (length, width, height), UPS has a $8.50 "additional handling" fee. I have NEVER been able to get 3D Cart to account for this fee (yes, I put the box size & weight in the item).

When we have several of these boxes used in an order, it adds up FAST (or, should I say, doesn't add up in the shipping calculation). So a customer gets a calculated shipping rate of, say $15.00, when really our cost is $23.50 after the additional handling fee.

We have always had low calculations as a result, and I'm not sure what to do. Right now we have a very low cap on what the total cart weight can be before a "please call for a shipping quote" message pops up....but this is hardly an ideal or good system.

Does anyone know if there's a plug-in or app that can be added to 3D Cart for better shipping calculations?

Thanks in advance!
        James

Comment

None of which I am aware. We just watch the rates closely and tinker with them as needed. In cases where the box size is unusual, we utilize the Multiple Boxes function, and that way we can get a more accurate price. There is some trial and error involved, but it's well worth the time to adjust those sizes and weights to get a better quote. Good luck!
          Laura Z

Comment

Looks like you can also add a shipping markup those products as well. I haven't ever used that so I don't know how well it works, but it sounds easy.
            Laura Z

Comment

Ship Cost

We sell auto parts and make extensive use of "Ship Cost" on the product import spreadsheet. We have all kinds of large, oversize shipments using UPS and find that only the local UPS store seems to give a "dead on" shipping quote. Not even the UPS web site gets it right.

Comment

JR123, I'm a little late to respond, but we ship some large items and the $8.50 additional handling fee from UPS only applies if the "second" longest side of the box is over 30". UPS: Avoid Shipping Charge Corrections

Comment

Originally posted by NancyC View Post
                  JR123, I'm a little late to respond, but we ship some large items and the $8.50 additional handling fee from UPS only applies if the "second" longest side of the box is over 30". UPS: Avoid Shipping Charge Corrections
                  Thanks Nancy! I should have been more clear, we're in the realm of the "longest side over 60 inches" portion of that link. Some of our boxes are 6 or 8 feet long.

I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                  X