I need an Excel Guru to help me find and replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need an Excel Guru to help me find and replace

I tried to search the internet for my problem. But to be honest I'm not even sure what to search for. I know some basic functions of Excel but this is pretty advanced I think.

Like most of you I get spreadsheets of products from my vendors with different items in each row. Each item will have a cell that is the category name the vendor uses for that particular item. I need to be able to automatically replace the vendor's categories with my categories. As an example the vendor may have product A123 in fishing lures and I have product A123 in Soft Crank Baits. Thee may have 200 items in the category "fishing lures" on their spreadsheet.

I know I could use the replace function in excel but there are maybe 1200 vendor categories covering 75,000 products on maybe 7-10 spreadsheets 3 times a week.

What I envision is maybe a master spreadsheet that draws from my vendors spreadsheet and then matches and replaces their categories with mine. But if I could just do it one spreadsheet at a time that would be a major help.

Anybody got any ideas? Maybe suggest a Excel formula I could try?

Thanks
    Greg

What you want is a VLookUp, or Vertical Lookup
    You will end up with a master category spreadsheet where one column is your category name and one column is the name of mapped supplier categories

Then the VLookup function will be applied to your vendor sheet and lookup the correct category name from the master sheet.

There are hundreds of tutorials on Vlookup on the web - if you are relatively comfortable experimenting in Excel you should be able to klodge this together on your own without external help. This tutorial looks pretty good:

Excel VLOOKUP Tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
      What you want is a VLookUp, or Vertical Lookup
      You will end up with a master category spreadsheet where one column is your category name and one column is the name of mapped supplier categories

Then the VLookup function will be applied to your vendor sheet and lookup the correct category name from the master sheet.

There are hundreds of tutorials on Vlookup on the web - if you are relatively comfortable experimenting in Excel you should be able to klodge this together on your own without external help. This tutorial looks pretty good:

Excel VLOOKUP Tutorial
      Thank you....

That's exactly the help I was looking for. I will research and report back.
      Thanks again,
      Greg

Comment

Working...
      X