I need to get a SSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to get a SSL

Can anyone tell me which SSL is better without breaking the bank? I've had the Godaddy EV SSL in the past which gets you the colored bar at checkout, but is it really worth it? Does the customer really notice a difference? Then there's paying the extra $99 to 3d for the install. Are the lower cost SSL's really any different? it's almost like buying tires. How different could they be?

Dave

I just go with a bare-bones SSL myself. Unfortunately the $99 3DCart fee makes it so that shopping around on other sites isn't really economical, otherwise I'd just go with a $19.99 GoDaddy special.

As is, I go with the $79 RapidSSL. It's fine.

Comment

We noticed a slight bump when we went to an EV cert. Can't A/B test it, so am not 100% sure.

Comment

I got an email from Godaddy today today for a discount on EV SSL's

Comment

I prefer to buy through 3dcart. It's a small fee to know that it's going to be installed correctly. If you buy from someone else, you still need to pay 3dcart $49 for installation. I've bought externally before and there was quite a bit of back and forth to get it installed. Too much time to worry about the extra $50 or so now.

Comment

Originally posted by wcsjohn View Post
            I prefer to buy through 3dcart. It's a small fee to know that it's going to be installed correctly. If you buy from someone else, you still need to pay 3dcart $49 for installation. I've bought externally before and there was quite a bit of back and forth to get it installed. Too much time to worry about the extra $50 or so now.
            The difference is more about using a Norton/VeriSign SSL or a Godaddy one. Most clients that get a Norton one (thru 3dcart or not) and display the Norton seal on their website have reported an improvement in conversions. I'm not sure the Godaddy one would have the same effect.

Jimmy

Comment

I've had a Godaddy EV SSL in the past and didn't have any problem with the install. 3d charges $99 for the install. I didn't know anything about the Norton thing. I have to re-do content and then purchase the SSL but it'll be very soon.

Comment

I was just wondering if very many people actually went with the EV SSL's vs the cheaper SSL. I know the EV gives the checkout the green bar. I got to wonder does it really boost consumer confidence? Does it make the consumer/buyer feel really safe?

Comment

My gut tells me that it is not worth the cost. If you google "ev ssl case study" you will find some information, but most of it seems to be published by the SSL industry. I can't find any hard data. This is the closest thing to a neutral source I can find:

Is an EV SSL worth it? Or even effective anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
                    My gut tells me that it is not worth the cost. If you google "ev ssl case study" you will find some information, but most of it seems to be published by the SSL industry. I can't find any hard data. This is the closest thing to a neutral source I can find:

Is an EV SSL worth it? Or even effective anymore?
                    Thanks for the article. I got my answer.

Comment

does anyone have any evidence to support why one SSL might be more effective in conversions over another? I've been using the free shared SSL badge on our store for a while.

we have some other stores on Volusion, for example that have 3rd party SSLs installed, and conversion is not significantly better or worse than the 3DCart store.

i might be persuaded to upgrade our 3DC SSL if there's a valid argument for it.

Comment

I've always thought it looked better at checkout to show it as your business instead of yours and 3d's. Less security issues as to who is the actual selling party or business. If that makes any sense.

Comment

I think this is something that is very site dependent. I don't think you should take any specific tests or industry summaries as the defacto standard. If we did, we wouldn't have purchased an EV cert. And if we didn't, we wouldn't have experienced an improvement in conversion rates. Is the EV worth it for our store? Sure is. Will it be worth it for you? Who knows. Test and find out.

This can be said for many facets of your store. Test test test.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I think the answer to the question of whether or not EV is worth the money is going to depend on your target market.

We, as webmasters and site owners, know that there is no difference in security level for the consumer when comparing EV to non-EV SSL certs. However, consumers who are not internet savvy don;t understand any of this. For msot of them, the closed padlock means nothing anymore. They are looking for the green address bar and if they don't see it, they think that their submitted info will not be secure. Yes, this is a manufactured fear by the ecommerce services industry, but it is nothing we can control. I would say get the cheapest EV cert you can find if your store caters to the masses.

The real question is these days, is the overpriced Norton EV SSL actually worth the money in increased conversions? At those prices, I'm not willing to "test".

As a side note, I laugh everytime someone says that ahving an ecommerce website is cheaper than having a brick and mortar store. That is a really antiquated, false belief.

Comment

Working...
                            X