Credit Card Error Message to Customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Error Message to Customer

I searched the old threads and didn't really see a resolution.

When a credit card fails, it could be for many reasons. Regardless we are getting a generic message that says wait and try again. This is causing me problems as a lot of these errors are AVS related and depending on the customer's bank, a hold gets placed for the amount of each attempted authorization. Based on the try again later, I have had a few customers run their debit cards down to zero.

The response from the gateway is available somewhere as the error code and the message text appears at the bottom of the incomplete order when it is viewed from the admin console.

Does anyone know how to capture those values and put them into variables that can be displayed to the customer when the error occurs?

Thanks

that may not be possible, as the processes that touch the gateway are performed server side. Unless 3dcart decides to pass that information back to the browser, there's not much hope for that.

However, what it does pass along is an error stating in some capacity its credit card related. When this happens, you could trigger a message that tells the customer NOT to rerun the card and call your customer service line instead so you can help complete the sale whilst not pissing someone off with a bunch of auth holds.

Doesn't hurt to confirm yay or nay with support on that.

Comment

Originally posted by jleclair View Post
      that may not be possible, as the processes that touch the gateway are performed server side. Unless 3dcart decides to pass that information back to the browser, there's not much hope for that.

However, what it does pass along is an error stating in some capacity its credit card related. When this happens, you could trigger a message that tells the customer NOT to rerun the card and call your customer service line instead so you can help complete the sale whilst not pissing someone off with a bunch of auth holds.

Doesn't hurt to confirm yay or nay with support on that.
      Thanks for the info. I have already altered the text in the standard credit card error messages to reflect not trying again and to give us a call. I would really like to display that reason though: AVS failure, insufficient funds, CVV failure, bad card number. It would really make life a whole lot easier and the information is obviously somewhere.

Comment

I think the messages are vague for a reason. To combat fraud you should not tell the fraudsters exactly what they are doing wrong.
        Listing a range of possible causes allows the customer to decide for themselves which one applies to them.

Also, if the card is declined, I don't see how it would affect the customers' account balance. Declined transactions will show up on the on-line statement and that freaks some people out, but they should not affect the balance.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post

Also, if the card is declined, I don't see how it would affect the customers' account balance. Declined transactions will show up on the on-line statement and that freaks some people out, but they should not affect the balance.
          That depends on processors. Some capture before authorizing and thus hold funds for 24 hours (sometimes longer) for declines.

I know 2 of the three stores I design for dont have this problem. They use eprocessing which authorizes before capturing the funds. The third uses Authorize.net and it does hold the funds on declines.

Theres a few threads on the forum about captured funds and the problems.

As far as what you said about the messages being vague, your definitely right. I believe I remember reading that they are not allowed to pass the decline codes to customers.
          Last edited by Ruppy; 05-16-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

With most processors you decide how you want it to process. "Authorize only", or "Authorize and capture". You do the setting in 3dcart "Settings > Payment > online Methods" check the box: Authorize Only.

-------------
            here is the explanation of how things happen from Auth.net support. I guess you are right in that even for declines, their funds will cumulatively be held in their account.
            When transactions are declined for Address Verification Service (AVS) or Card Code Verification (CCV) reasons there is a temporary hold placed on the card. This is because the card issuing bank will authorize the card on their end and send us back the AVS/CCV response of what matched and didn't match. We then verify that against your account settings and decline as needed. The customer's bank doesn't know what our system is setup to decline for, so they authorize the funds as usual.

The customer's card is authorized the moment their information is submitted. The charge or withdraw of the funds occurs during the settlement of the account each day. Until settlement occurs the funds are simply on hold which can look like a charge since it will not be in the available account balance on the card.

An internal void request is automatically sent during settlement. From there is can take banks a few business days to process the void and release the held funds back to the customer's available balance.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
              With most processors you decide how you want it to process. "Authorize only", or "Authorize and capture". You do the setting in 3dcart "Settings > Payment > online Methods" check the box: Authorize Only.

-------------
              here is the explanation of how things happen from Auth.net support. I guess you are right in that even for declines, their funds will cumulatively be held in their account.
              The odd thing is no matter how you set eprocessing it does not hold funds on a decline, or at least not that ive found. But along with that you cant authorize and capture seperately on eprocessing either. It runs avs and finalizes if it passes.

Comment

Working...
              X