• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: SPF record settings

We use Mandrill for Transactional e-mails
    We use Google Apps for everything else
    We do not use smarter mail

We had support add Mandrill and gmail to our SPF record as requested by Mandrill and Google Apps

Now our SPF record does not validate:
    Validation Results - PermError SPF Permanent Error: Too many DNS lookups

Current SPF: (note that Other than the stuff for Google and Mandrill the rest was put in there by 3dcart.)
    v=spf1 a a:allservers.3dcart.com mx ip4:208.43.49.137 ip4:66.228.121.44 ip4:208.43.210.60 include:emailsrvr.com include:_spf.google.com include:spf.messaging.microsoft.com include:spf.mandrillapp.com -all
    We need to simplify it. Support is basically telling me I need to tell them exactly what to put there. However since we don't use 3dcart mail do we need any of the 3dcart stuff? Our server IP is not on this list.

Would it suffice to have our server ip, plus Google and Mandrill
    v-=spf1 ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xx include:_spf.google.com include:spf.mandrillapp.com ~all
    I think some e-mails like the Autoscrips still come through smarter mail, but are these being sent by our web site?, or would I even care if these e-mails validate. As I understand it all transactional e-mails are going through Mandrill.

(also note that the current says -all. Google says to use ~all, as -all might create problems)

Sorry I won't be much help here, but I did find this tool to let you validate SPF syntax:
    SPF Syntax Validator

FWIW, My only SPF record shows:
    Code:
    v=spf1 include:spf.mandrillapp.com ?all
    I use Google Apps for mail, but have never done anything for it with an SPF record.

Comment

cbsteven, thank you for that.

Good to see that your SPF record only has Mandrill and nothing has exploded yet :). I think I will do as I suggested then.

v=spf1 ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xx include:_spf.google.com include:spf.mandrillapp.com ~all
      where xxx.xxx.xxx.xx is our server ip. It could not hurt. The syntax above validated.

You should probably add "include:_spf.google.com" since I think you use Google Apps

here is another validation tool that has more options:
      SPF Query Tool

Comment

Working...
      X