Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you handle "No Image Found" in your store??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you handle "No Image Found" in your store??

We have 10,000 products. We specify a thumb and full size image in the product file so there is an image specified for the product.

The 10,000 products are uploaded...... but we only have 9750 images to upload. The 9750 images are uploaded.

So now 250 products have an image specified but the image is not found on the server, a 404 for the image basically.

We have no idea what 250 products they are as there are too many to go through.

Anywhere a thumb should appear there really is no image, just blank. The large image on the product page is also just blank.

I understand if no image is specified, at least a default thumb shows, but in these cases we've specified an image... it just isn't on the server.

How do you all handle cases like this? I'm surprised there is no method to designate a default image to appear that states "Image Not Found - Item Available For Purchase" so in both cases, thumb and large image, at least something shows.

How do you all handle this? Ideas?

Designating a default image if you specify a bad filename isn't really 3DCart's responsibility... they are just trying to display an image that you are telling it that you uploaded.

The way to resolve this is with Javascript. You can detect an image load error and, if one occurs, replace the image on the fly with a default image. Here is an example implementation:

jQuery/Javascript to replace broken images - Stack Overflow

Comment

This seems to work for a product thumb on a category page.

I cannot seem to get this to work however on the main product image 1 on the listing page.

Have you caccomplished this somehow?

Comment

The thumb default image is built into 3dcart. Just upload your own image to /assets/images and name it noImage.gif
        This will display instead of the default 3dcart no image.

This will not display on the listing template by design from 3dcart.

Comment

@elightbox, then what is the best way to handle no image on the listing page?

Comment

Sorting

Download yur product spreadsheet. Sort it for "blank". Then fix any that come up "blank". If that doesn't work, scrutinize the image column for spaces or characters in image names. If there are any, re-name and upload.

I don't believe many customers will buy a product they can't see, so add an image for all products even if you have to create it yourself.

Comment

Based on your description it sounds like you know what the file name for the image is supposed to be and the field is populated but you are missing the file?

I can see where that would make it a bit more difficult. What cbsteven suggests is probably the only way to correct it without correcting the bad data.

With a bit of playing in excel you can compare the list of files specified and the list of files available. You have the spreadsheet with what the file names should be so that one is easy. You now need a list of the files that you actually have.

I'm sure there are a dozen of getting a list of files that you have but since I've been playing with IrfanView lately I'll suggest this. Check this link:
              IrfanView Slideshow
              If you create a slide show with all of your images IrfanView will create a txt file with them all listed. You can import that list into excel and now you have your two sets of lists.

To do the comparison I would probably setup two worksheets and use the excel vlookup() function. You'll have to do a bit of playing in excel.

Comment

Originally posted by Shopguy View Post
                Based on your description it sounds like you know what the file name for the image is supposed to be and the field is populated but you are missing the file?

I can see where that would make it a bit more difficult. What cbsteven suggests is probably the only way to correct it without correcting the bad data.

With a bit of playing in excel you can compare the list of files specified and the list of files available. You have the spreadsheet with what the file names should be so that one is easy. You now need a list of the files that you actually have.

I'm sure there are a dozen of getting a list of files that you have but since I've been playing with IrfanView lately I'll suggest this. Check this link:
                IrfanView Slideshow
                If you create a slide show with all of your images IrfanView will create a txt file with them all listed. You can import that list into excel and now you have your two sets of lists.

To do the comparison I would probably setup two worksheets and use the excel vlookup() function. You'll have to do a bit of playing in excel.
                Just a note. If your comparing two files, check out "beyond compare". It works for about any file type and is amazing. I think its made by scooter software. Its not freeware but it can be a lifesaver.

I use if for html compare, css compare, text compare, you name it. Its not always the right tool but its been the perfect one for me several times when nothing else quite worked.

Comment

try Link Sleuth:

Find broken links on your site with Xenu's Link Sleuth (TM)

Comment

Working...
                  X