How to change an order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change an order?

I know this probably has a very simple answer, but I can't find it anywhere! I have a customer who ordered the wrong color, and needs to change it. How can I amend her existing order? Or for that matter, if a customer wants to add to an order before it ships, how can I do that???

I don't think you can do either. As far as change a color to an order, I think all that can be done is the administrator can add notes on the order. As far as adding to the order, I think the customer would have to place another order. You could put notes on the order adding the addition, but since the system doesn't store credit card info, you would have to go back to the customer for that.

I don't know this for sure. However, not to long ago I was attempting to split an order and I accidently deleted a portion of the order. I knew what it was so that was no big deal, but I didn't want the customer to log in and see something was not on her order, so I contacted 3dcart, and I was told that I couldn't add anything to the order other than putting notes on the order. It seems to me that although this is a different situation, it seems the same idea.

Comment

Wow--that is a big problem for me. Our customers (brides) frequently change their mind and need to alter/add to an order before it ships. I would really like to see this as a possible future update!

Comment

Yes, I would like to see that also. I recently ran into this situation because a customer ordered the wrong thing. The best solution I could figure out was what was suggested by theDancingDaisy - add a note to the order.

Comment

I need to figure this out as well. How do you change the product in orders? I've lost some sales from customers who call back to change the product, and 3DCart doesn't let you change the product, so I had to cancel the orders. I can't believe this is not doable. This is a very basic ecommerce requirement. It is embarrasing to have to tell customers I don't have the ability to make seemingly simple changes to their order.
          Last edited by DCG; 05-22-2008, 11:31 PM.

Comment

In defense of 3D on this one, I'm not sure many carts will let you do that. Most merchants capture the CC amount beforehand- meaning you can't simply charge more.

Our solution is to use the Stoneedge Order Manager. If you have a smaller business, the best bet is to kindly suggest to the customer to let you cancel the order and then reorder.

Comment

As far as working with the customer on an order change, it has worked fine for us to just add a note to the order such as, "Substitute product A for B" and credited customer for $X. If there is a difference in price then either we give the customer a refund or charge their credit card for the difference. From an accounting standpoint, it may get a little tricky. But even with that we may have to go in and adjust our inventory to reflect the change in both the Admin Panel and in Quickbooks.

When we send out the shipment confirmation email, the customer also has in writing the change as shown on the Order notes section.

I would much rather have the ability to change an order via the Admin Panel - but making a few small adjustments has kept us from having to lose orders.

Comment

Some of this may be addressed in the upcoming release - this is from the New Release feature list that was posted a while back

Admin > Orders Print Shipping Labels (USPS, UPS, FEDEX)
                Admin > Orders Add / Remove item from order
                Admin > Orders RMA
                Admin > Orders Virtual Terminal
                Admin > Orders New unpaid status
                Admin > Orders Improved Phone Order System
                C Ekman
                Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
                http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

I don't know why you would necessarly cancel an order. We just put notes in the system, although, yes it would be nice to actually be able to change it. However, it gets very tricky when there is an increase in price since cc info is not stored, we can't just charge the cc the difference. On our old shopping cart the cc was stored, so we could do this.

Comment

Yes, but there are still situations where you might want to change an order based on a customer request that will not result in an increase to the total charge -- substitute one item for another, for example. We can decrease payment amounts made through c-c or PayPal.

It is not confidence-inspiring to have to ask the customer to re-do their entire order after you have canceled the original, just to be able to make a small substitution in that order.

I am very surprised we are not able to do this in 3dcart.

Comment

Originally posted by cashmore View Post
                      Yes, but there are still situations where you might want to change an order based on a customer request that will not result in an increase to the total charge -- substitute one item for another, for example. We can decrease payment amounts made through c-c or PayPal.

It is not confidence-inspiring to have to ask the customer to re-do their entire order after you have canceled the original, just to be able to make a small substitution in that order.

I am very surprised we are not able to do this in 3dcart.
                      Has this been addressed by 3Dcart? Here's a brief history of what's happened to us.

1. Sale lost: Customer wanted to remove an item from her order and keep the rest. This made her order total less than it was authorized for. We had to ask her to call in with her credit card because we couldn't charge for less than the authorized amount. She said "Forget it. Cancel order"

2. Sale lost: Customer wanted to add a small accessory to their order. They didn't understand that they needed to call in their credit card number and we had to create a new order. We lost that part of the sale.

3. Sale lost: Customer wanted to upgrade. Same story.

If we can modify an order on a Yahoo store, we should be able to do it on 3DCart.
                      kem
                      AddressNumbers.com
                      Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Comment

For situations where the customer wants LESS than what was originally ordered, we just charge the original amount and then refund the difference. Tell the customer the charge has already gone through and you'll refund immediately for the part of the order they don't want. That'll save you the grief of having to get their credit card info again.

For the situations where the customer wants MORE than what was originally ordered, if you use Authorize.net as your gateway, you can charge an additional amount (without needing the credit card info) the following calendar day AFTER the original auth was captured. Here's how you do it:

1. Use the SEARCH function to find the order in Auth.net

2. When the search results display, in the upper right hand corner of the display area, there's a button which says "View Rebillable Transactions". Click on that button.

3. Find the specific transaction line for the order being changed. At the end of the row, there's a box to fill in the amount you want to charge for an additional "New Payment Amount". Click Submit and that amount will be charged to the card used for that transaction line. No need to ask the customer for their card number.

The ONLY drawback to this method is that you have to wait to add the additional charge until the next calendar day AFTER the original charge has been captured, so you have to inform the customer that they'll receive TWO charges from you. One for the original amount, and then one for the extra amount they're adding to their order. We use this method all the time and it works just fine. Our customers don't complain about the two charges as long as we explain it to them.

Comment

whenever we need to add an item to an existing order we put it back into "new" and then there is a dropdown selection available from actions for "add a new item".

*NOTE*. ANYTIME that you change it to new the dropship email fires so becareful. We rarely have orders added or updated (mostly to delete an item which we zero out the item and add a note in the order history).

Edit: as for charging or crediting the difference we use 3dcart's merchant provider. I don't know how other merchants work but they have an active "batch" of charges and we log into that and perform the credit/debit where needed. If we cancel an order we can do that from inside the admin screen with the void button.

Comment

Originally posted by piaf View Post
                            For situations where the customer wants LESS than what was originally ordered, we just charge the original amount and then refund the difference. Tell the customer the charge has already gone through and you'll refund immediately for the part of the order they don't want. That'll save you the grief of having to get their credit card info again.

For the situations where the customer wants MORE than what was originally ordered, if you use Authorize.net as your gateway, you can charge an additional amount (without needing the credit card info) the following calendar day AFTER the original auth was captured. Here's how you do it:

1. Use the SEARCH function to find the order in Auth.net

2. When the search results display, in the upper right hand corner of the display area, there's a button which says "View Rebillable Transactions". Click on that button.

3. Find the specific transaction line for the order being changed. At the end of the row, there's a box to fill in the amount you want to charge for an additional "New Payment Amount". Click Submit and that amount will be charged to the card used for that transaction line. No need to ask the customer for their card number.

The ONLY drawback to this method is that you have to wait to add the additional charge until the next calendar day AFTER the original charge has been captured, so you have to inform the customer that they'll receive TWO charges from you. One for the original amount, and then one for the extra amount they're adding to their order. We use this method all the time and it works just fine. Our customers don't complain about the two charges as long as we explain it to them.
                            Thanks. Found another solution as well:
                            Authorize.net only: For authorized but not captured charges that will be LESS than the authorized amount:
                            1. Find unsettled transaction
                            2. Click capture
                            3. Enter the amount of the charge.
                            kem
                            AddressNumbers.com
                            Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Comment

Working...
                            X