Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic "keyboard specific" fields?

Hi all,

I have NO idea how to search the forum for this question, so my apologies if it's been addressed in the past.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but are there ways to make certain fields "specific" so that on mobile (and perhaps tablets? I don't know, I don't own a tablet) it automatically pulls up the appropriate section of your keyboard to type in the field?

For example, I'm checking out on my phone. I click on the Phone Number field. There are ONLY going to be numbers entered here, no letters whatsoever. On my HTC One, it pulls up my regular keyboard (which is the standard QWERTY keyboard), and not the part of my keyboard where it's the "number keyboard" (which I can still click to get to, of course, but it's an extra step to do so).

So my question is, and I could have sworn I've seen things like this on other websites, is there a way to make these sort of "numberic only" fields (Phone Number, Credit Card number, CVV2 number, etc.) "keyboard specific" so that it detects that it is a "number" field and pulls up the correct keyboard for the customer automatically?

I feel like I've seen coding before - way back and who knows where - where the code tells if a field is "Email" for example, or "Numeric", or whatever...

I really hope that made sense and that I'm not imagining this being a possibility (and that it does at least exist in the real world, even if it can't be done in 3DCart).

Thanks in advance!
    James

I believe what you are loking for are input types.

input type="number" should give you the number only option on your keyboard
    Input type="email" should give you the email centric keyboard (showing the @, .com, etc)

Check out http://www.w3schools.com/htmL/html_form_input_types.asp for a listing of all the different input types and how they behave.

Comment

Ah ha! That's EXACTLY what I was trying to explain. I had no idea that it was called input types, but that link is perfect for what I'm looking to do. Thank you SO much!!!!

-James

Comment

Working...
      X