Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I change the size of the carousel/slider images on my home page ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I change the size of the carousel/slider images on my home page ?

Support told me to upload smaller images but that does not work and there is no option to resize on the carousel module settings.

I haven't tried this yet, but I was told to use FTP (it's the only way) and download the flexslider.css, and you can change it there.

Comment

I set my slider image size to what I wanted, and then used Fireworks to create new "sliders". You could use any photo editing software. For this example, my set slider size is 500px by 350px. Next you need to reduce your image sizes to be no more than 500px wide or 350px tall. Open your editor. Import your first image. Decide on left, right or center. If you have extra space, you could add text. Save it. Import it to the slideshow.

Comment

Many thanks for the suggestions

I resolved my slider image size problem by creating my own 4 image gif using smaller image sizes that I can specify, rather than mess about with CSS. It is now placed on my home page and works as well as the carousel did.

Comment

The KB (https://support.3dcart.com/Knowledge...ticle/View/582) says that, beginning with Version 6, the slider can be adjusted by clicking Advanced Settings. The dimension options are not there. It also says "If no information is specified, the slider will simply use the width of the supplied images." Is this outdated information and this should now be adjusted in the flexslider.css?

Comment

Yes the KB concerning the advanced carousel settings is out of date. The only adjustment that can be made in advance settings is the display time of each image in the carousel. I asked for help several times and tech support told me to adjust the size of the images I had uploaded. This did not work. Then senior support staff told me to alter the CSS to make the images display smaller but would not tell me what specific line of code to alter and then referred me to sales to have them give me a quote to to this "custom modification".

Uploading my own GIF created in Photoscape, to my home page, has resolved the slider image size problem for me. I pass this on for what it is worth, to anyother user with the same issue.

Comment

Shorne
              Did the slider then adjust itself yo your new image size? My images just got distorted. Maybe you changed the slider dimensions?
              Last edited by Davef; 05-09-2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave:

I disabled the 3Dcart slider/carousel module in its entirety as I could never get any help from support about how to change the image sizes which were always too large. I created several Jpeg images in the size that I wanted to use - they must be all the same size. Then I made an animated GIF using Photoscape (FREE) set the time intervals and slide up or slide down or fade effects. Then saved the final GIF and uploaded this to the 3Dcart image file manager and inserted GIF into my home page.

This worked for me although I still have more work to do to improve the image quality.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info. I can make an animated gif. I'll give that a whirl. I'm also going to try Celebra's method. I'm familiar with Fireworks, etc. I also didn't consider gifs. I'm just starting out on this but great to have collaboration.

Hey, take look at this. It would nice to use these if any were compatible.
                  http://designscrazed.org/free-respon...image-sliders/

I'd prefer 3d cart of course, but they don't seem open to providing the auto-resizing that was available initially. Must be some incompatibility perhaps with their new responsive design approach. But, the link above shows some free interesting designs.
                  Last edited by Davef; 05-09-2015, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Can someone PM me their store domain so I can look. There should be no slideshow sizing issues out of the box. You can actually use any size image as long as it is larger than the area you want it to be in. This is dependent on the template you have chosen. But I am sure I can provide a simple fix which is all it should be.
                    Last edited by thecartdesigner; 05-10-2015, 08:27 PM.
                    TheCartDesigner.com
                    Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
                    100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

With Shaun's help, my problem is solved. I didn't understand the basic premise that each item must be 1000 px wide. I made a graphic 200px H x 1000px W. And, then added the images within that space to make one image. It is like a slideshow with each slide being 1000 px wide.

Thank you Shaun!
                      Last edited by Davef; 05-11-2015, 12:03 AM.

Comment

each item must be 1000 px wide.
                        Just a note. It doesn't have to be 1000px wide... Just has to be as wide as your content area to avoid image distortion. So if your content area is 1200px wide, then make your image a minimum of 1200px wide. Height can be anything, but I like staying 350px or under. Your slide images should resize properly without issue
                        TheCartDesigner.com
                        Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
                        100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Can anyone tell me where to find the flexslider.css? Apparently the HTML5 template/theme I'm using from 3DCart does not allow for the resize option to work in the advanced settings of the carousel module and my slider image area is huge on my home page. I would really appreciate any help on this. It's terribly frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                          X