Adding Links on Content Pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Links on Content Pages

On the old dashboard, when I wanted to add an internal link, I would click on the Add Link button on the WYSIWYG editor and a pop-up box would appear and give me options to link to a product, a category or an extra page. On V7, if I want to add a link, it requires me to type in the entire URL. The plus side to the old way was that if I changed the product name or category name, the link would still work because the link used the item ID number or the category number (http://www.mywebsite/product.asp?itemid=134). Now, if I hardcode the URL and then change the name of the page or product, the link is broken. Is the old feature no longer available or am I missing it?

Julie, there are two things to note here.

First, all of your observations are correct and that function is not present in the new WYSIWYG.

Second, the way you are accustomed to doing it produces results that aren't so great in terms of optimization. Linking to an extra page for example would result in code like this:

Code:
    <a href="infopage.asp?page=40">
    ...which is sloppy, uninformative, and not at all interesting to algorithms that rank your pages. This newer way of typing the URL - or copy / pasting it, so as to avoid typos - is preferable. It gives you more control, is cleaner, and results in a better user experience.
    - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

II see your point. Do you think it is worth going through my site and changing the old links to ones that are more user-friendly and descriptive?

Comment

Yes. I wouldn't urge you to eat less, sleep less, and get it done ASAP, but it would be wise to get it done - maybe make a handful of edits every day, for a few days, until it's done.

As you do it, you can really be a pro and use relative links. So if you want to link to http://www.example.com/sale-products , don't copy and paste that entire URL into the WYSIWYG editor pop-up, just type sale-products. You will end up with code that looks like:

Code:
        <a href="sale-products">
        Which is exactly what you want.
        - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Working...
        X