Put in coupon code automatically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put in coupon code automatically

Is there a way that if a customer comes in on a specific link that a coupon code is automatically put in for them? I know you can have promotions that don't require a code but I want to enter the code for the customer automatically based on them coming to my site from an email link I send them.

Mark
    Mark
    www.printpal.com

I wish. I put in a User Voice request. Please vote for it.
    http://3dcart.uservoice.com/forums/7...o-apply-coupon

Comment

It's not as smooth as what you're looking for, but there is a workaround to make this possible. Let's say you want to use a link to bring these customers in with an automatic 5% discount.

1) Create a free product - like a 5% off coupon (Product A). Set minimum and maximum quantity to 1, remove all categories, make it unsearchable.

2) Set up a coupon code for 5% off that only works if Product A is in the cart.

3) Send the customer an add-to-cart link for Product A

The customer will land on your site with Product A automatically in their cart, thus qualifying their order for 5% off.

To limit abuse:

a) Remove Product A from all categories.

b) Make Product A unsearchable.

c) Set Product A's maximum quantity to 1.

d) Use a different listing template for Product A in which the Add to Cart button has been removed.

e) Clone Product A every X days and update your coupon code. Remember to delete the defunct iteration of Product A.

f) Utilize DISALLOW and NOINDEX to discourage bot indexing. Remember to update each time you clone Product A.

Additional maintenance and upkeep would be necessary as well, but it may be worth the effort depending on how valuable an instant discount link is to you.
      - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

DeanP Great workaround. This will definitely work.
        Would you please elaborate on "Utilize DISALLOW and NOINDEX to discourage bot indexing". Is this in Robot.txt?

Comment

elightbox - Yes. For a product named Test Cat on www.example.com, that product's URL may look something like this:
          Code:
          http://www.example.com/Test-Cat_p_1234.html
          So the following robots.txt entry would tell bots not to visit that page:
          Code:
          Disallow: /Test-Cat_p_1234.html
          Alternatively, you can use meta tags on that product's page; the entry below tells bots not to index the page, but to go ahead and follow the links on the page to find other fun things:
          Code:
          <meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">
          - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

DeanP much obliged. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X