Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exclude free shipping for Hawaii and Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exclude free shipping for Hawaii and Alaska?

Hi,

I'm offering free shipping on most items in my store if total order is $100 or more. This is for the lower 48 states only - Hawaii and Alaska and any foreign country should be excluded from free shipping. However, I can't exclude free shipping from Hawaii or Alaska - I have the box checked in Settings->Shipping to "Free Shipping-Domestic Only" but there must be something else I need to do. Had a $140 order today from Hawaii that's going to cost $190 to ship the cheapest way. How do I exclude Hawaii and Alaska from free shipping?
    Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by wbee View Post
    Hi,

...I can't exclude free shipping from Hawaii or Alaska - I have the box checked in Settings->Shipping to "Free Shipping-Domestic Only" but there must be something else I need to do.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hawaii and Alaska are domestic in that they are US states, which is of course different from being geographically domestic. This is why the Domestic Only setting doesn't affect the results in your case.

You need to create a custom shipping method By Value. The value should be 101 - 99999. It should apply to All US States. Exclude Alaska and Hawaii by navigating to that specific shipping method > Advanced Settings > Exclude List.
    - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

So I'm going in and created a new custom shipping method "by value" I go to advanced settings and changed min. weight and max. weight to 101 and 99999 respectively? I did exclude HI and AK and turned this method "on". Do I turn free shipping method "off"?

Comment

You should be changing your minimum value I believe, not weight as you posted unless that was just a mistake and I'm reading it incorrectly. So that would mean that between those price ranges you get free shipping with Alaska and Hawaii excluded from the free shipping. DeanP correct me if I'm wrong on how this is set up? Value and not weight, correct?

Comment

There's already a "free shipping" shipping method. However it won't let me exclude AK or HI. So I have it turned "off". Although I see on some orders it still shows in their "shipping method". Today, for the first time, I got an order with "by value" in the shipping method - it didn't calculate any shipping. This is way more difficult then it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by wbee View Post
            There's already a "free shipping" shipping method. However it won't let me exclude AK or HI. So I have it turned "off".
            Right, so what you're going to do is turn that off, and create a new custom shipping method. For this one you're get to set a flat rate; that rate is $0.00. Do this by inputting 0 for "Markup."

Next, configure what states this applies to; select all of the US, but exclude Alaska and Hawaii.

Now when customers from the lower 48 checkout they will be able to select this new Free Shipping option, but this option will not appear for Alaska and Hawaii customers.

You can configure additional rules as you wish - like having this option be available only if the customer's order is over $100,for example.
            - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Working...
            X