Change what is in the right/left bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change what is in the right/left bar

I can't find how to change change what is shown in the right/left bars. I am playing with a 'responsive' theme but I can't figure out how to change what is shown in the bars. I need the mailing list section removed because it is just a couple of inches above the mailing list sign up in the footer! Stupid to have it both places but I can't find how to turn this off or tell 3dcart I don't want it shown in the right/left bars. In fact I can't find how to turn on the left bar although I can turn off the right bar.

This new admin is ridiculous. So much functionality has been lost with the new 3dcart it is unbelievable. 3dcart is no longer fully customizeable.

I think I used to use the drop and drag editing, which in the new admin is under settings>design>Themes and Styles and in the upper right hand corner you see drop and drag editing....although I'm trying to find out if that will work for you and of course my drop and drag editing won't load up, it sits and spins and spins and spins. But Display Options used to be there to remove stuff from the left side. Hopefully yours will load up so you can see it? I'm not a big fan of the new admin either, but I've refused to click on legacy and go back to the old admin because I'm afraid I'll want to stay there again and the new admin is not quite as bad as I thought it was, it's just finding stuff that's the PITA

Comment

Thanks Toobusy. I tried that but all I can do is move things around. I can't actually get rid of it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

I take that back. It appears that things can be moved but in reality they can't. Drag and drop doesn't work at all.

Comment

Sidebar elements and new admin panel locations.

Top Sellers: admin menu: Modules
          New Releases: admin menu: Modules
          3dcart Mailing List: admin menu: odules
          Brands/manufacturers: settings-->general-->store settings:Product Display Tab: "Hide Browse By Manufacturer"
          Browse By Price: settings-->general-->store settings:Product Display Tab: "Hide Browse By Price"

Now in regards to the left/right sidebars,

1. Make sure that your template has both sidebars. If you are using/testing on a 3dcart freebie template, not all have both sidebars occupied.
          2. In order to move or adjust the sidebar sections (top sellers, new releases, etc) used in 3dcart they will have to be manually moved in the frame template.

Hope this gives some decent direction
          TheCartDesigner.com
          Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
          100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Try to hide mailing list in Modules. If it hides one from left bar then you good to go if it hides footer one then you need to comment out the code in your file. for that provide me the link of your website so i can tell you which code to comment out.
            tangopixel.com
            Website Design and Development

Comment

Thanks, I figured out the code on the frame.html file to use to get the side bards to show with the appropriate sections. BTW, all templates have both side bars and in the older system we had an option in the admin to turn them on or off. But the new admin and templates don't have the option even though the code is on the frame.html no matter which template you are using. Not sure why 3dcart chose to make it extremely difficult to turn them on and off.

In case anyone else runs into this. Don't waste time contact tech support they have no clue.

Go to your frame.html file, scroll down to the 'left bar' or 'right bar' section and copy which ever section you want to show on the other bar such as 'top sellers' and paste it into the other bar section. Even if the other bar has been hidden by 3dcart pasting the new section will make that show on the bar.

To clarify, I wanted to use a template that 3dcart chose to hide the left bar but show the right bar. I wanted 'shop by manufacturer' showing on the left bar. enabling shop by manufacturer in the modules is a waste of time because it just makes it show on the right bar. Instead I went to the frame.html file and copied the section for the 'shop by manufacturer' and then pasted it in the 'left bar' and it now shows on the left bar. The other things in the left bar section in the frame.html still don't show. So there must be some coding somewhere in the template files that tells it not to show certain sections listed in the left bar.

Hope this helps others as 3dcart tech support is worthless.

Comment

watchdr You can choose to hide/show sidebars in content-->titles &content: Each page has the option to show or hide the sidebars.
                TheCartDesigner.com

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

thecartdesigner The hide/show switch doesn't work on all templates. Some templates do not allow one or the other bars to show no matter which way the 'switch' is set.

Load one of the new responsive templates without one of the side bars, then try changing the switch for the bar that is hidden. You will find it is not possible to make it visible by using those switches. The switches only work if the bar is already visible according to the template. At least that is how it works for me. Maybe mine is broken because I am converting from a 7 year old template to a new responsive one. It could also have to do with the horrible new admin. The new admin makes no logical sense how it is set up and many of the settings that are available in the legacy admin are no longer available in the new.

Comment

so you completely want to hide left and right bar?
                    tangopixel.com
                    Website Design and Development

Comment

Actually I wanted to shut the right bar off and make the left visible then wanted to hide certain things in the left bar. I had to modify the Frame.html file to make this happen because there are no settings that make this happen in either admin panel.

Comment

In fact I am now fighting with the 'Browse Similar Items' on the product pages. That list of categories is worthless and doesn't need to be on the page at all. It should have an option setting to turn it off. But again there isn't a setting in either admin.

Comment

watchdr Ok, so depending on the template as I mentioned originally the sidebars may be effected by the theme itself. Converting a non-html5 responsive template to responsive unfortunately is not anything that should ever be done because the html5 template set is completely different as a whole. Can it be done... absolutely, but it is a ton more work than starting form scratch. Now, that is neither here nor there because it is your choice to do what you like and it won't keep anyone from helping with your issues.

With that said. You are correct, there are certain pages that do not have the control over sidebars extrapage.html. But if your template has both sidebars, the Titles & Content pages listed will control them as long as the surrounding tags are present and correct. They should be able to be controlled by css if not the toggle.

For the Browse Similar Items: to remove, simply add this to your active css file:

HTML Code:
                          .breadcrumbsBlock { display: none;}
                          Yes Browse Similar Items is controlled by a breadcrumbs css name. Don't worry it has nothing to do with the breadcrumbs at the top of each page. Make sure you clear cache after saving.
                          TheCartDesigner.com

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

thecartdesigner Ok, thanks. I am not converting my old template/theme to html5. I am using one of the new 3dcart html5 templates/themes. I had too much custom work done to the old one and do not want to go through all that again. The template/theme I am using has the right bar visible but the left hidden. I wanted the opposite and the switch won't turn the left one on because the left bar switch was already on but the bar was still hidden. So 3dcart has somehow chosen to hide these bars without giving any way to make them visible. It's not a big deal as I have found a work around which I outlined above.

Thank you for the help with the Browse Similar Items. I'll do that. Maybe that is how 3dcart has made the left bar hidden as well. I can look through the .css file and see if I can find it. If not it is fine, I already have the things showing in the left bar that I wanted.

Comment

watchdr Sent you a PM
                              TheCartDesigner.com

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X