Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I turn off 'Browse Similar Items'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I turn off 'Browse Similar Items'?

I have searched both the new admin and the legacy admin as well as the knowledge base and the forums and have not found how to turn this off. Can someone tell me where this setting is to turn the Browse Similar Items section off?

Hi watchdr

I'm afraid there isn't a setting, per se... That part of the product listing page is dynamic depending on the categories the product belongs to.

Browse Similar Items appears when the item that is being viewed resides in multiple categories. If the product is in only one category, then the Browse Similar Items section won't appear.

The intent behind this is to show shoppers that - although they may have found the product one way - the product also can be found in other categories that the shopper might find interesting. For example, a counter-top grill that doubles as a panini maker might be found in grills with grill products, and also in sandwich makers with a bunch of other kinds of items. So "Browse Similar Items" will show shoppers other items to consider that are related to the one they're viewing.

If you'd like to remove it from displaying, but you don't want to limit your products to one category at a time, then the block of code can be removed altogether from the product listing template itself. (listing_0.html)

Here's the basic code you'll want to remove or comment out.

Code:
            <!--START: BREADCRUMBS-->
            <div class="breadcrumbsBlock">
                <div class="header">
                    <h3>[product_Header-breadcrumbs]</h3>
                    <div class="clear"></div>
                </div>
                <ul>
                    <!--START: CATEGORY_BREADCRUMBS-->
                    <li><i class="icon-angle-right"></i> [CATEGORY_BREADCRUMBS]</li>
                    <!--END: CATEGORY_BREADCRUMBS-->
                </ul>
            </div>
            <div class="clear"></div>
            <!--END: BREADCRUMBS-->
    I hope this helps!

Comment

3dcart-Henry Or add this to your active css file so you don't have to mess with the template:

Code:
      .breadcrumbsBlock { display: none;}
      TheCartDesigner.com
      Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
      100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

An even better and more elegant solution as always. Thanks! :)

Comment

3dcart-Henry No prob, I am always happy to throw wrenches...lol.
          TheCartDesigner.com
          Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
          100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the help. I understand your reason for having this. I still don't think I want it on the page. It is a really strange looking thing that I doubt most of my customers are capable of figuring out on their own! I do have some smart younger customers that are very web savvy but most are older and the internet is not intuitive for them at all. I could go on and on about questions we get from people that don't understand the internet. The more simple we can make our site the better.

Comment

Working...
            X