Product Availability in Emails to Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Availability in Emails to Customers

I had a customer complain that they were unaware that the item they purchased was on back order. I can see the product's availability at time of order in the order details, and I can confirm what the product page stated at the time the customer placed the order. However, I would also like this information to be included with the order confirmation email. Unfortunately, the variable that I know for item availability -- [availability_itemprop] -- does not generate anything in an email. Does anyone know how to pull that information in an email?
    Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

I found the Knowledgebase article and there isn't a property for item availability. I'd open request on UserVoice... but we know how that's been.

Comment

I would not only like to have that included in the email but also on the view cart page -- even if we have one and a customer orders two -- there should be some sort of notification that the customer is going to see that tells them that they are not going to get everything at once.

And I have to agree about UserVoice -- a place where ideas go to die.
      Joe Arbogast
      http://www.birdsafestore.com

Comment

Hi TMS Clint,

I have this feature in my crappy cart now, I would have thought that this would be standard in any reasonable cart.

If you make a UserVoice request, let us know so I can vote on this, as I am sure many others would.

Regards,

Richard

Comment

You should also know that a product's stock status reflects the status of the product when it was added to the cart, not when the order was submitted. If a customer adds a low-quantity inventory product to cart, waits a couple days, and the product sells out, that customer will still be able to complete the order as though there product were not sold out.
          - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

DeanP Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure about that; but I can also verify from the customer visit detail page that they didn't visit the product page until it was already sold out... but I guess they could have added the item to their cart on their mobile, decided to wait, then later decided to come back when they were in a wifi hotspot (so that the IP tracking / session id wouldn't show the previous session)? Or do I misunderstand cookies and carts completely?

Comment

I misread the original post.

You can display item availability in your order confirmation email; I used to have a column that listed "in stock" or "backorder" for each product. I dug through some emails, tried to find some old backups of that template, and even tried some variables that sounded familiar to me, but I could not get it to display. Try putting in a ticket to support. If you were to do the same thing on your invoices then you would use [itemdescription]. I thought that worked in the emails but I it wouldn't display when I tried it. Maybe things changed, but more likely I just forgot. I worked with Jimmy on some of this a year or so ago - try asking him.
              - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Birdsafe View Post
                I would not only like to have that included in the email but also on the view cart page -- even if we have one and a customer orders two -- there should be some sort of notification that the customer is going to see that tells them that they are not going to get everything at once.
                Hello - I have a similar situation/question, been searching the forums and this is the closest I can find, thanks in advance for any tips..

My scenario is, there is qty 10 available in inventory for an item, customer tries to add 12 to their Cart, only 10 gets added but they don't notice that they are not getting what they requested (we do not have back ordering turned on, nor wait listing). Is there anyway of an alert or message to show in this scenario?

Thank you for any help.

Comment

Working...
                X