Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International characters coming in as strange symbols.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International characters coming in as strange symbols.

Has anybody else noticed international characters coming in as strange symbols on orders? For example we received an order with "�ber der Bahn" where it should have been "Über der Bahn". We have noticed this occurring the last couple of months.

I've seen it before also. Ended up emailing my customer and getting the correct shipping information. Not sure why it was doing it, I believe I've only had one or two so I didn't open a ticket since they were a couple weeks apart from each other.

Comment

I did open a ticket. Interestingly, 3dcart's ticket system stripped out the international character. I had to attach a txt document so they could see the character.

Comment

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

3dCart has long used ISO-8859-1 character set, which does not play well with international characters. I don't know if or when they plan to change-over to using UTF-8 everywhere, but you can see bits and pieces of it showing up in the admin and templates... so possibly it's on the horizon.
        Last edited by Alupis; 07-05-2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

3dcart support answered that they have forwarded the issue to developers.

Comment

this has been an issue since the introduction of V7 - it's been persistent for almost a year - here's anther example of system wide rendering corruption https://goo.gl/Uj0jUA

Comment

this is more than just character sets https://goo.gl/Uj0jUA

Comment

Update from 3dcart: "Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention! Our team has reviewed it in detail and confirmed that it requires being assigned to our development team to be corrected.

I can confirm that the issue has now been added to our development schedule and will get fixed as soon as possible."

Comment

windycityparrot You are right, but I think there's 2 issues. First being 3dCart is very US-centric, and doesn't handle UTF-8 fully as-of yet (although that appears to be slowly changing). The second issue is random corruption of characters -which we've experienced ourselves. It seems related to some interpreter being used on 3dcart's end, and it's attempting to re-encode characters (causing weird stuff to show up). We had a ticket for something similar a while ago, but our issue seems to have been fixed back then.

Comment

everyone can debate me but there is a virus in the 3dcart system causing content corruption - it's been going on since redactor was installed - I have dozens of screen shots illustrating the issue - ignored for 10 months now

Comment

I have had multiple tickets in for quite a while detailing some character issues. In my case specifically, I have trouble with the registered trademark symbol. Sometimes &reg; will properly render to ®, sometimes not. Or vice versa. Or maybe the software will display ® correctly in some places but display &reg; in other places. This is an example of a simple plain text issue on the 3dcart side, but there are some things users can do to break things too.

A couple tips that may help some of you:

* Generally, don't write product descriptions or code in word processing software and then copy/paste it into the 3dcart software. MS Word, 365, Google Docs, etc. Regardless of whether you're using the WYSIWYG or not, just don't do this.

* If you do want to write elsewhere and copy/paste into the software, then do it the right way. Install the Notepad++ freeware and use it to do all your webwork. It won't carry over character encoding when you paste, it shows code in various colors depending on the type, and unlike regular notepad it has spell checking.

* If you need a cloud solution, consider Pastebin.
                      - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Excellent suggestions, DeanP . I especially like Notepad++ for editing. There's not much it won't do. If I could only get it to save bookmarks with a document it would be just about perfect.

Comment

Working...
                        X