Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to automaticlly link a customer to their profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to automaticlly link a customer to their profile?

Is there a way to link customers to their profile after they place an order? We have many customers who do not register when they place an order and then many of them come back to the site and register at a later time. (To view the history, size of last order and so on) We do not want people to be forced to register when placing an order. We did this before and the sales plummeted. When people log in and register, the order does not link to their profile and they can't view the history from past orders. Is there a way to automate this?

Yes, if the customer already has an account, once you are on the order screen in Admin, click "Actions" and then "Link To Customer".

Comment

Originally posted by kbscoatings View Post
      Yes, if the customer already has an account, once you are on the order screen in Admin, click "Actions" and then "Link To Customer".
      I know, but we can't keep track of all the customers who do this until they email us that there is a problem. Is there a way that the system can do this for us?

Comment

I understand now. I do not know of a way but maybe someone else will chime in with a solution.

Comment

That would be a nice feature. We currently do this manually.
          "when a customer opens an account, link all old orders under that same e-mail to the New account"

Comment

Is there an updated to this? I recently purchased something from another company... mowersdirect.com . I purchased something from that site and did not register - I went back to register a few days later and all my shipping history was there - it was great. Does 3DCart have this feature yet? We have had customers go nuts when they purchase something and come back after registering, only to see that there is nothing in their shopping history - when in fact, there should be (but we have to link them manually)

Comment

Unfortunately if they start as a guest, place an order, then come back and register, the order won't be in their profile (unless you go and add it for them from the order they placed). We thought about automating the linking based on email, but, the issue is that we don't validate emails when you register, so, you could have a guest user "[email protected]" purchase from your store. Then, another user, use '[email protected]' as their email registering, and gaining access to that order that isn't theirs. There is nothing sensitive other than the address and what was purchased, but, i can see this being an issue for the customer that thought he checked out as guest.

Perhaps if we add validation when creating an account, ensuring you are the owner of that email, like by making you click a link sent by email, that would be better, but that would change the flow of registration, and it's something that might make registration harder for some users.
              ----------------------------
              Gonzalo Gil
              3dCart Support
              800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
                Unfortunately if they start as a guest, place an order, then come back and register, the order won't be in their profile (unless you go and add it for them from the order they placed). We thought about automating the linking based on email, but, the issue is that we don't validate emails when you register, so, you could have a guest user "[email protected]" purchase from your store. Then, another user, use '[email protected]' as their email registering, and gaining access to that order that isn't theirs. There is nothing sensitive other than the address and what was purchased, but, i can see this being an issue for the customer that thought he checked out as guest.

Perhaps if we add validation when creating an account, ensuring you are the owner of that email, like by making you click a link sent by email, that would be better, but that would change the flow of registration, and it's something that might make registration harder for some users.
                Thank you for this information - I didn't think of this before. Our customers have saved credit cards, so that would be something I do agree with. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                X