Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elimax
    replied
    Joe, I may be way off base on this one. I am simply running off of experience. Prior to shifting to 3d in 2013 we were 12 years with Zoovy. (now defunct) We had far less shipping calculation errors with zoovy than what we are experiencing with 3d. I do not recall ever entering a dimensional divisor for them. However, I was just admonished by one of my warehouse guys that the reason for this was likely because the carriers were not calculating dimensional weights (at least UPS) until sometime in 2014. This is likely why we were not seeing issues with our previous provider. I will continue to work on this and update with my results. I am currently entering box sizes in 1" increments to take into account our box cutters/sizer.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBTI
    replied
    Dimensional weight is not calculated by 3dCart nor any other ecom platform that I've ever seen. It's calculated by the carrier based on the data sent from the cart (weight, dimensions, box size, max box weight, etc). Also, this wouldn't make sense because the dimensional divisor is negotiable with FedEx and UPS (Higher the better). If an ecom software offered this, then they must have a setting where you enter the dimensional divisor. I would be very curious and interested to know what software you've seen do this?

Having a the cart side calculate the dimensional weight will cause overcharges too. If a customer orders a bulky item and other products that ship with it, then there will be instances where the actual box weight of all the products would reach what the 'dimensional weight' would be. So, in this instance, the customer would be charged the dimensional weight of the bulky item, plus the weight of the other products. Maybe this scenario is not likely for the type of orders you receive.

Standardizing box sizes you use and adding the box sizes in should take care of most scenarios I would imagine.

Leave a comment:

• Nutz
    replied
    I completely agree. Using "ships by itself" is not a workaround. I can't imagine the amount of orders I lose when a consumer calculates the charges for a few of those in their cart. Of course as of late I'm a little beaten down by 3D's huge functionality holes. I spend hours replying to customers about shipping charges and not being able to update their credit cards with recurring orders. Maybe if more 3D users used the forum... I'd just chimed in as you were told no one had these issues.... Maybe not in the forum but check the tickets.

Leave a comment:

• Elimax
    replied
    A shipping calculator that cannot calculate dimensional weight is a huge hole in functionality. We have been auditing and find at least 20% of our orders are off by more than 15% on rate calcs. The "ships by itself" option may work for vendors selling few items. Does not work for vendors with large item lists on their orders. The tech docs on their calculations would save a lot of time if it simply spelled out that their calculator does not forward dimensional weight. Like you, we were beating on support for awhile thinking it was a bug........

Leave a comment:

• Nutz
    replied
    We have this same issue. I've had multiple tickets open thinking it was a bug and have been told "It works as expected". Well, it's not working how I would expect it to work. Entering "ships by itself" gets really costly with unnecessary charges when you have more than one of those in a cart.

Leave a comment:

• Elimax
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just spent some time on their site. May actually be more than we require. It looks as though the simplest at this point is simply exporting all products into excel, calculating dimensional weight based upon the carrier, and entering the greater of dimensional or actual weight. PIA, but appears to give far more accurate customer shipping rates. Advanced shipping's truck freight calculator may get us to drop the $100 a month for their service......we will see. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBTI
    replied
    Have you ever checked out these guys: https://www.advancedshippingmanager.com/

They have a bunch of advanced features and I believe they do custom development.

Leave a comment:

• Elimax
    replied
    Yes that is what apparently needs to be done and IS done automatically in a vast majority of the carts. It's like I am back in the 1990's!

Leave a comment:

• gchaimovitz
    replied
    I've simply updated all the weights for our products to be dimensional LxWxH/139. Export products into excel, make the calculations (If dimensional is less that actual etc.) and import.

Leave a comment:

• GonzaloGil
    replied
    I see, the current setup doesn't work if you have unlimited size of boxes as you are making them on the spot, we'll investigate the calculation and see if its something that can be deployed, to be honest, this is the first time i hear that the 2 options given don't work for the merchant.

Leave a comment:

• Elimax
    replied
    Item ships by itself will then overcharge the customer in our example, considering most orders average 10-20 line items, so 10-20 separate shipping calcs added together doesn't make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Elimax
    replied
    It doesn't NEED to pass the dimensions. It simply needs to pass the greater of DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT, or Actual Weight. That seems to be how most carts handle this....... We don't use pre-defined boxes as we cut them down and size them as needed in order to kill the dead space and save the customer $$. So you are saying if I upload every dimension possible in 1" increments up to max UPS sizing this will go away? Seems like a workaround that doesn't need to be if the algorithm simply calculates and passes dimensional weight?

Leave a comment:

• GonzaloGil
    replied
    You have 2 options:
    1) Use "Item ships by itself" in which case, each item will pass the dimensions.
    2) Use the predefined boxes.

Without using either, 3dcart would have no idea what dimensions to pass to UPS when you have multiple items in a cart.

Leave a comment:

• Elimax
    replied
    Better check that information as this is the bug we have been fighting for years, and your tech support says it is HOW THE SYSTEM is supposed to operate. Let me give you an exact example so you can understand the issue here: Please go to www.expedition-imports.com

Add this sku to cart: https://expedition-imports.com/S515388 (This item is Bulky and oversize with dimensions and weights in system.)
    Use the shipping calculator and select CA, and use 94508 = Ground Rate will come out as $138.07

Now go back and add this sku along with the other sku: https://expedition-imports.com/WAPD
    You should know have 2 items in your cart. The fender, and a little tiny piece with minimal weight and dimensions.
    Use the shipping calculator and select CA, and use 94508 = Ground Rate will come out as $31.72

In reality, the rate should be $138.07, but my customer just checked out at $31.72, we have to contact the customer, explain our website can't calculate large packages and we need an additional $106.35

As per your company this is normal and expected as the instant a second item goes into the cart, all dimensions stop getting transferred and only the actual weight is transferred. This is the same functionality as it was in 2016 when we first posted......and quite honestly is know why we are looking at other cart options as we simply don't have the manpower to be making these phone calls.

Respectfully, Scott

Leave a comment:

• GonzaloGil
    replied
    @Elimax Are you specifying box sizes on the products and or, using the predefined boxes https://support.3dcart.com/Knowledge...order-shipment ? If so, we pass that information to UPS so they would be aware of the dimensions/weight and should price accordingly. If we dont have dimensions, 1x1x1 would be passed along with the weight, and so you could definitely get inaccurate rates.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X