404 error increase problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 404 error increase problems

Has anyone else notices an increase in 404 errors?

We just got an email from Google about an increase of 404 pages and when I look at the chart, it looks like on 3-11 they started jumping. On 3-11 we were at 2 and now we-re at 61.

None of the errors are normal pages either.. They are a simple numeric value like http://site.url.com/85

Any changes that anyone is aware of on the 3d end that would cause this?

Login to your google webmaster account, go to the report that has the 404's and click on them, it should tell you what site is linking to them. That will help troubleshoot this tremendously,
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
      Login to your google webmaster account, go to the report that has the 404's and click on them, it should tell you what site is linking to them. That will help troubleshoot this tremendously,
      I did and the ones that I've checked are all internal links.

Comment

Just want to confirm this is what the page looks like (attached) if that's what you see, then, can you please give 1 example of the URL and where its linked from?

----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Just checked and Evolution you are correct we have a boatload of new 404 errors - upon further investigation, these are pages that are no longer in use on our site or whats very strange are pages that were removed years ago - quite strange and we will remove all of these errors from google and see if they are still alerting as 404 errors when many of these pages are very old??

Comment

ebeegirl Evolution You have to remember that you don't have full control over 404s. For example: If someone puts a link to a page in a forum and that page does not exist any longer, there is not much you can do about the link in a post that may not belong to you (no matter how old that link is). I have some clients that have 20K+ 404s 95% of which are links that are not under their control. The fact that you have a bunch of 404s is not a big deal. It's how you direct the traffic that matters so much more. Remember, all of those 404s are still links to your site so you need to make the best of what they see when they get a 404.
            TheCartDesigner.com
            Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
            100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

cartdesigner - thanks yes I am not concerned at all about the 404's - just trying to help out evolution in his concern - that 404's will happen especially when you have an active website and are changing it as we do.

Comment

Working...
              X