Bandwidth usage has doubled since 7.5 upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandwidth usage has doubled since 7.5 upgrade

Has anyone else had issues of bandwidth overages since their 7.5 upgrade? Our has doubled... What is really suspicious about it is that it isn't reflected in our Cloudflare account... Just in 3dcart. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this?

Perhaps you have cloudflare setup to refresh the cache more often? You can be as aggresive as having it not pull up the images/css/js (static) elements for days, or, as often as 1 hour in which case you don't get much bandwidth savings.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

My cloudflare settings haven't changed. For the last 30 days, Cloudflare says I had a total of 51.65 GB of bandwidth used over the last month with 7.85 GB saved for a net of ~44GB... 3dcart says that I used 54GB. In the past my net usage on Cloudflare matched almost exactly my billing for the month. This month I am going to have a pretty hefty overage charge (I am on the 45GB plan and 3dcart says that I used 62GB and my traffic actually went down last month).

P.S. I moved all of my "large" images to a 3rd party site I have with "unlimited" bandwidth, midmonth last month when I got the warning that I was overage my bandwidth usage, so hopefully I will be fine moving forward. I just find this odd.
      Last edited by FotoBella; 04-03-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
        Perhaps you have cloudflare setup to refresh the cache more often? You can be as aggressive as having it not pull up the images/css/js (static) elements for days, or, as often as 1 hour in which case you don't get much bandwidth savings.
        Cloudflare is set to "1 day" (and this setting was last changed 8 months ago). We typically load new products a couple of times a month, so suppose I could bump this up. Would love to hear what other users who are using cloudflare have it set to.

Comment

ok, is this something you did recently? I see that you placed some (or all) images remotely, however, without touching your template, the images would be pulled into your server, then displayed. (Since we resize images for you when the page loads)

You can see that if you view source on one of your products, you'll see something like:

http://www.fotobella.com/thumbnail.a...maxx=50&maxy=0

So, the script, thumbnail.asp, which won't be cached by cloudflare since .asp is a dynamic page, would pull up the image you specified, then resize it to maximum of 50 pixels.
          This means, you are not saving anything, not by cloudflare, and not by you hosting your image remotely.

If you wanted to go this route, you would want to search on all themes for "Thumbnail.asp" and remove it, then, make sure that you have the right size images, otherwise, you could find yourself with your category page for instance with a bunch of huge images which won't be nice to your visitors.

Gonzalo Gil
          3dCart Support
          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave 3dcart the overcharging for bandwidth is insane. We get 2-5 $20 orders a day. 3dc just isn't cutting it. It's showing now that this month our usage has jumped from 6ogb to over 400gb.
            www.gogglesandglasses.com

Comment

3/4/17 6pm
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              www.gogglesandglasses.com

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
                ok, is this something you did recently? I see that you placed some (or all) images remotely, however, without touching your template, the images would be pulled into your server, then displayed. (Since we resize images for you when the page loads)

You can see that if you view source on one of your products, you'll see something like:

http://www.fotobella.com/thumbnail.a...maxx=50&maxy=0

So, the script, thumbnail.asp, which won't be cached by cloudflare since .asp is a dynamic page, would pull up the image you specified, then resize it to maximum of 50 pixels.
                This means, you are not saving anything, not by cloudflare, and not by you hosting your image remotely.

If you wanted to go this route, you would want to search on all themes for "Thumbnail.asp" and remove it, then, make sure that you have the right size images, otherwise, you could find yourself with your category page for instance with a bunch of huge images which won't be nice to your visitors.
                Our thumbnails are already sized pretty small (200x200 pixels or less), so hopefully that shouldn't be a huge contributing factor, unless they are being pulled unnecessarily. We only moved the large images and those that are in our banners etc, that the 3dcart support team told us were using excessive bandwidth. We have seen a drop in our daily bandwidth usage since doing so... but then again, that was also when we reported the issue to 3dcart, so maybe they fixed something else on the backend....

Comment

Originally posted by Goggles View Post
                  I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave 3dcart the overcharging for bandwidth is insane. We get 2-5 $20 orders a day. 3dc just isn't cutting it. It's showing now that this month our usage has jumped from 6ogb to over 400gb.
                  This is the same thing that happened to us in March. Maybe there was a spider that crawled our sites in March? How do you look for April?

Comment

Originally posted by FotoBella View Post

Our thumbnails are already sized pretty small (200x200 pixels or less), so hopefully that shouldn't be a huge contributing factor, unless they are being pulled unnecessarily. We only moved the large images and those that are in our banners etc, that the 3dcart support team told us were using excessive bandwidth. We have seen a drop in our daily bandwidth usage since doing so... but then again, that was also when we reported the issue to 3dcart, so maybe they fixed something else on the backend....
                    Please view your store, category page, and product page. View source, if you are seeing thumbnail.asp being referenced, then ,you are not saving any bandwidth by using a third party image provider. What you would need to do if you want to manage the images outside of 3dcart completely, is to remove the usage of thumbnail.asp on the category and listing templates. Just realize that doing so will mean you need to take care of resizing the images yourself. I guess another thing you could do is make a page rule, within cloudflare to cache "thumbnail.asp?*" or something like that, so that it will get it once, then keep it in cache, and so if 10 visitors come, its only pulling it from the site the first time, and never again until the cache refreshes, but, i think you can even control that on the page rule to make it only pull once a week or something like that.

Gonzalo Gil
                    3dCart Support
                    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Ok, i just checked your site Goggles, and, most likely its the same issue with Fotobella, the stats haven't updated, they are supposed to reset on the 1st of the month, so, it looks like its the 4th day of the month and you are out of bandwidth but that isn't the case (When you login to your store, you get a warning), we are checking into it. One thing to check if for some reason something changed on your store as far as usage, go to the statistics -> Bandwidth report, and put a large date range, if you see huge changes from 1 week to the next, without changes in visitors, then, that's certanly something to have support check into. But if the numbers are pretty much the same day to day, then nothing really changed.
                      Gonzalo Gil
                      3dCart Support
                      800-828-6650 x111

Comment

FotoBella If the direction Gonzalo has suggested is the way you want to proceed with removing thumbnail.asp, understand that you can take care of the overall image dimensions via css so not to have to upload all new images. With that said. Images should be a reasonable size to start. Typically you don't need a 1000x1000px image. Lowering the image size to something like 750x750 in comparison would do wonders. However it doesn't make a different what size you want to show if hosted elsewhere. You shouldn't get "dinged" for it anyway.

GonzaloGil The bandwidth issue is one you could imagine that I am approached with quite frequently and even more so since 7.5 release for some reason. Here is the largest issue with trying to find a resolution with support when on a smaller plan. Just recently I made a very specific request to support via a clients ticket system to find out how an average 80-100 visitor a day site at 500kb (initial page load largest page) can hit 774MB in 1 day. I asked if I could be provided a direction to with what was making that happen so it could be remedied and got a for the most part canned response and a suggestion to upgrade. After I got more specific to ask "What is eating up the bandwidth in this situation so it can be addressed" I was told that since the mini plan my client is on doesn't have Smarterstats that they would be unable to review the bandwidth and got a suggestion to upgrade (again) to a higher plan or purchase Smarterstats separately.

One of my clients put it in words rather well: "I am getting charged for something that I am not allowed to know about, but I can be charged more again to find out what I am being charged for in the first place."

As you know I have done this for quite a long time (3dcartdesigns was a while ago now...lol) and I do everything I can in these situations to help everyone I can in any way that I can. But it makes it really difficult when the people starting out with the any smaller plan aren't warranted the information to help them remedy a situation that may make them close their store. Having the information needed to make the appropriate changes keeps them moving forward and the further forward they go means a greater chance at success, stability and possible higher plans in the future. Just my opinion, but addressing something like this would help a lot of people that are trying to build success with 3dcart as their platform.
                        TheCartDesigner.com
                        Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
                        100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

@thecartdesigner A very simple way to see the the size of the assets (images/js/etc), would be to use something like https://tools.pingdom.com/ which would list all the items of your page (say home page), and the total size of the site. What i see a lot is customers adding images on .css files that are not needed, but, the browser will download all images in a CSS file since it does not know if you will need them, also, a common thing is a home page carousel with 1MB images, so every page load of the home page would be 5-7MB :(

Gonzalo Gil
                          3dCart Support
                          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

GonzaloGil Yep, I already use Pingdom tools each time a bandwidth question comes up so I can see what is pulling from where and the file sizes. As good practice due to bandwidth restraints I rarely load any slides over 100K (normally compressed to 50-70kb for slides) I keep to a set of 3 for all my clients so that is never a concern. Don't use image backgrounds or images in css so that is also not a concern. That is why some of these situations are mysteries.
                            Last edited by thecartdesigner; 04-04-2017, 03:05 PM.
                            TheCartDesigner.com
                            Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
                            100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

I'd just like to add that I've seen a LOT of 3dcart stores lately that are incorrectly using the thumbnail.asp feature and instead of loading a 300 pixel compressed image they are actually loading the ENTIRE image, remotely from Cloudfront or another site, and then the browser is compressing it down. I've seen some images that should be 20k come in at 2-3mb, and I'm talking about every single product image on an entire category page for example. Some of them are taking 10-15 seconds to load on our 100MB connection at our office, when they should be 1.

I've also seen a lot that are loading the full images for things like Top Sellers and New Releases, even if they aren't displayed on the page or accessible in any way. I have no idea why so many sites are configured wrong, but it is a lot of them.

This isn't anything 3dcart did, but you might want to send out a newsletter or something and help your customers understand what the problem is. People will just blame 3dcart for being "slow" or causing huge bandwidth overages, when in reality it's something they (or a third party) setup incorrectly thats killing their pagespeed, conversions, bandwidth, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X