Correcting 404 errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correcting 404 errors

I'm trying to understand how we are accumulating so many 404 errors to our site.

Many of our errors are to our categories pages, and as we all know, 3dcart writes the category URL as categoryname_c_categoryid-pagecontrol.html

The problem I am seeing is that we are getting multiple 404 errors to the same page because the sort by option is changing, so

a 404 to widgets_c_123-4-5.html and widgets_c_123-1-2.html are two different entries and these accumulate rapidly, but these links are attempting to go to the same page. It is my understanding that the original page is marked as rel=canonical, so these things shouldn't be happening. Search engines should see the link widgets_c_123-1-2.html and understand that it is going to widgets_c_123.html. But that must not be correct, because that is not what is happening.

It is my understanding that the 3dcart structure works as such that you can put whatever you want in the url (the categoryname section) and as long as you append the _c_categoryid section, you will end up in the right spot, so widgets_c_123.html and thisisnottherightcategory_c_123.html, will take you to the same page.

Curious how other 3dcart store owners are handling 404s, with potentially an infinite number of 404s to work through.

Even with sorting, the generated URLs should be reachable - otherwise the customer would get a 404 error when they sorted your products. Are you able to reach the URLs in your 404 report if you copy/paste them to your browser?
    - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Originally posted by DeanP View Post
      Even with sorting, the generated URLs should be reachable - otherwise the customer would get a 404 error when they sorted your products. Are you able to reach the URLs in your 404 report if you copy/paste them to your browser?
      Yes, I can reach the URLS even though they are reported as 404s.

I have a series that just showed up in the report yesterday that contains

*_c_6558-2.html
      *_c_6558-4.html
      *_c_6558-3.html

Clicking on them leads me to the re-directed link. Google is reporting that it was "detected" on 3/13/17, 3/4/17 and 3/3/17, respectively. Even though all 404s were cleared at the beginning of the week. So, I'm not sure why they're being detected now, and they're properly redirected but being reported at 'Not found'

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Being able to reach your content is what matters most. It will probably fix itself in time.
        - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

here's an idea - we just submitted a new sitemap to google webmaster tools area as we noticed for some crazy reason some of our 404 errors were very old. This happened after we updated all our pages to https. We'll see if this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X