Limit only 1 item in the cart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit only 1 item in the cart?

The store we are currently building is for a company's employees to go on and order work apparel.

Everything on the site is free, so they are basically just picking out what they want and then we charge the company as a whole.

They only want each employee to be able to checkout with just 1 item though... is this possible? To limit the cart to only 1 item?

Thanks for any advice.

ESheaffer You can set max quantity for checkout in the advanced tab of the product
    https://www.screencast.com/t/PfzEF7zdwO2i
    tangopixel.com
    Website Design and Development

Comment

cartexpert I think ESheaffer is wondering in regards to checking out as a whole with a 1 item restriction, not restricting items to 1 which allow them to still add 1 of each item to the cart. It is an interesting scenario.

TheCartDesigner.com
      Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
      100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Yes, thecartdesigner is correct.

Because everything on the site is Free, the company is basically letting their employees have a free work item, they only want to allow them to get 1 and not as many free items as they want.

If this is not possible, we will just have to rely on the company to inform the employees they can only select 1 item on the honor system, and we will have to police it on the back-end and call the shopper if they do checkout with more than 1 item to see which one they want. (Which we are hoping to not have to do! ha)

I know there is a minimum qty you can select for checkout, but I just figured there would have been a maximum qty we could set too.

Thanks guys.

Comment

ESheaffer Makes complete sense. How many items are offered? The reason I ask is because depending on how many employees and how many items you could allow employees to only see certain products at a time. In other words you could do a calendar of items to where the employees are offered that item for that day or week. Of course that would be dependent on if it is realistic to do so in your situation. You could even automate the rotation of those items using the daily deals module.

Just trying to think outside of the box for you a bit.
          TheCartDesigner.com

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Not sure if this is even a possibility. Could some code be added where all the add to cart buttons disappear if an item is in the shopping cart?

Comment

JoeBTI Yes, that can be done with some coding. If there is an item in cart, hide add to cart button from all pages.
              tangopixel.com

Comment

A little clunky, but set the price on all items to $50 or something that no one would pay and then use promotion manager to discount only one item. Having to pay would stop them from doing more than one :)

DaveW

Comment

DaveW Good point lol. If they want to get more than 1, they need to pay for that.
                  tangopixel.com

Comment

ESheaffer I sent you a PM in regards to JoeBTI suggestion which while I was writing a test script was already mentioned should work
                    TheCartDesigner.com

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Thank you all for all the suggestions!

I'm going to try to the code that thecartdesigner was so nice to provide which was suggested by JoeBTI

Fingers crossed, I'll let you all know if this works!

Comment

So thecartdesigner was able to get this work for us! When an item is in the cart, all of the "add to cart" buttons disappear and comeback when the item is deleted from the cart.
                        Pretty amazing, way out of my expertise!

One final question that the client just asked and I can't seem to figure it out... I changed the store language at checkout to say "Employee Info" instead of "Billing info", but when you do not enter any of the fields and click checkout, the alert pop up says "please enter the billing first name, billing last name, billing address" etc.

I can't seem find in the store language area where to change the verbiage for those alerts.

Comment

ESheaffer You'll need to change it in either the checkout-singlepage.html or checkout-singlepage-v2.html depending on which single page checkout you're using.

Comment

I believe you can do this with zero coding, but it's kind of dependent on how many items are in the catalog. How many items do the employees have to choose from?
                            - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

DeanP sorry to bring back this old topic, but I am trying to do the same thing now, on a different store.

There are only 4 items in this specific category, and we are trying to limit the customers from only being able to get 2 items from that category. There is a promotion where any item from that category is 100% off that the company pays for, but they want to limit them to only 2 items out of the 4 available. Is there a way to do that without code?

Comment

Working...
                              X