Limiting Promotion to Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limiting Promotion to Accounts

Has anyone figured out a way to limit promotions to orders placed using an account and not anonymous orders? I have some people using a "one-time" promotion more than once by simply not using an account. It seems that if you can limit a promotion to specific customer groups, there should be a way to require an account.
    Joe Arbogast
    http://www.birdsafestore.com

If you add all accounts to the customer group you want to let use the coupon wouldn't that do it?

Comment

Except that a new customer would not automatically be added to that customer group and then not be able to get the discount for a first-time order. This has been something that most carts do that 3dCart lacks in -- the ability to at least lock a one-time coupon into an email address, so that if someone wanted to use it twice, they would have to use a different email address.
      Joe Arbogast

Comment

So you're saying that the "uses per customer" check box doesn't work if they order without an account? I didn't even realize that. That sounds like an oversight. You can let people automaticaly add themselves to a discount group but they would still need to set up an account first. You could make a new discount group called "new customers" or something.

Comment

Hey Joe - possible solution for you:

First, create a customer group for account holders and set it to be the default customer group type. This will separate customers who have accounts (customer group: Account Holder) and customers who don't have accounts (customer group: None).

Next, restrict your promotion to account holders only. This will require people to create an account if they want to take advantage of a promotion; you get their business and possible newsletter subscription, and they get your product at a discount. I think that's a fair trade.

Note that you'll want to change the customer group for all existing account holders to the new Account Holder group so that they too will be able to use your promotion.
          - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

DeanP -- thanks. So I can create a new account customer group and anyone new creating an account will automatically be put in that group? I don't necessarily want existing customers in that group because most of them have already taken that promotion their one time.
            Joe Arbogast

Comment

Originally posted by Birdsafe View Post
              [So I can create a new account customer group and anyone new creating an account will automatically be put in that group?
              Yes, but it takes some configuration:

1) Create the group

2) Check boxes for Allow Registration and Auto Approve.

3) Note the new registration URL at the bottom; it will be something like
              www.example.com/register.asp?cg=X

...where X= the new customer group number, like 1, 2, etc. When someone visits this link they are presented with a registration page for the new customer group. By default your store uses a registration link ending in ?cg=0 , which means no customer group. Take a look at your own registration page and you'll see that the address is https://www.birdsafestore.com/register.asp?cg=0

4) You need to update the registration links on your site to use this new registration address, that way everyone who registers will be placed into the customer group. To the best of my memory I can say that the registration link appears on myaccount.asp and your checkout page; I don't think it appears anywhere else.
              - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Working...
              X