Promotion Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion Help

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make one time use codes for people on our mailing list or create an account? Seems crazy that there doesnt seem to be a setting. As far as I can see, unless I am missing something, the fix is not easy. I guess I can create a new group then is someone joins my mailing list I have to then go in and change their group manually, then send them another email that has a code...same for offering other potential customers a one time use code. If someone is not registered what would stop them from using the code over and over again?

You should read the thread I started on the same subject not too long ago -- this is a major drawback to 3dCart -- not being able to restrict promotions to either a registered account or to an email address. I have customers who have used our first-time discount more than once by checking out without creating an account.

Dean P does give a solution to this issue, but it is too complicated for me to even deal with right now and another modification of code that hopefully in the future will not be necessary if the issue gets addressed.
    Joe Arbogast
    http://www.birdsafestore.com

Comment

I did read that thread and was going to implement that solution but I had custom work done on my checkout page that prevents this from working. On my checkout page there is no link to create and account, a user simply adds and email and password if they want and the account is created at checkout. I checked with the designer and no way to change the group it goes into. I love the look and design of the checkout page so I dont want to change it. With that being said if I cannot change all the ways an account is created there is no sense to change any. I would have to keep looking to see if there is someone to migrate.

It is certainly a big setback. I do think they use the 1 time per customer based on IP Address but doesnt help someone that places an order on their laptop, then next time on their phone, and the time after that on a work computer...

I really cannot understand that you cannot simply add and option in the promo rules that an account is needed. We do a lot of business on ebay and I use that platform t get people to my site and offer 10% off their first site order...doesnt do me any good when they use the code 3 times for 3 different orders.

Comment

Why not remove the guest checkout option? The customer has to fill in all the information anyways, so the only extra field is the password field. We rarely have anyone that whines about this since the account is created when the order is submitted. This will solve many coupon code issues being used multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBTI View Post
          Why not remove the guest checkout option? The customer has to fill in all the information anyways, so the only extra field is the password field. We rarely have anyone that whines about this since the account is created when the order is submitted. This will solve many coupon code issues being used multiple times.
          I would prefer not to require an account for a purchase. For a while we required it, then it was suggested that we remove that, and when we did the conversion rate was much higher. At this point I would not want to require an account.

Comment

Originally posted by cdarmssupply View Post

I would prefer not to require an account for a purchase. For a while we required it, then it was suggested that we remove that, and when we did the conversion rate was much higher. At this point I would not want to require an account.
            I would second that -- conversion rates are much higher when you don't require an account, and I for one received many complaints when I did try and require them -- but having a promotion set up that incentivizes people to create an account would be a BIG PLUS -- but in order to do that, you need to be able to require an account on a promotion set up.
            Joe Arbogast

Comment

Originally posted by Birdsafe View Post

I would second that -- conversion rates are much higher when you don't require an account, and I for one received many complaints when I did try and require them -- but having a promotion set up that incentivizes people to create an account would be a BIG PLUS -- but in order to do that, you need to be able to require an account on a promotion set up.
              3dCart response was ask for a custom coding quote....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBTI View Post
                We've experienced people using a different email to obtain multiple "Sign Up" discount codes. We set the code to be one time use per customer. It would seem that they would apply the code AND THEN login to their account (to receive bonus points on the purchase.) They would use the different email and still receive the discount and bonus points on their account. I haven't tested it lately. Has this been resolved? If so, that would be great. We were about to email our customers and put up a notice that we will be deleting all bonus points for customers that use the sign up code more than once.

Comment

It seems like this is ongoing discussion, and much desired / needed capability in 3d. Has this been posted / supported in uservoice recently? I see some old posts that were declined due to inactivity, so perhaps it is time to revisit it? There are 5 of us here right now, so that is a good start and more than what was there in the past. With some forum solicitation, we can get that into double digits, so does anyone have any interest?

Comment

Originally posted by massagestore View Post
                    It seems like this is ongoing discussion, and much desired / needed capability in 3d. Has this been posted / supported in uservoice recently? I see some old posts that were declined due to inactivity, so perhaps it is time to revisit it? There are 5 of us here right now, so that is a good start and more than what was there in the past. With some forum solicitation, we can get that into double digits, so does anyone have any interest?
                    Yes, I would definitely vote on it -- I find the Uservoice suggestion page so frustrating to find anything -- the search function leaves a lot to be desired.
                    Joe Arbogast

Comment

I think the best way for 3dcart to do this is to add an option that lets the user decide into which customer group the default registration page put customers. BigCommerce has this functionality.
                      - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Originally posted by DeanP View Post
                        I think the best way for 3dcart to do this is to add an option that lets the user decide into which customer group the default registration page put customers. BigCommerce has this functionality.
                        The trouble with that is that you then have to go back and re-assign existing customers that are in no group. If you remember, Dean, Volusion tied coupons to a customer's email address -- still customers could use another email - but frankly I don't know why they can't specify that an account with password needs to be required for coupon use.
                        Joe Arbogast

Comment

Most of this issue could be resolved if they just let us select the default group a customer goes into when they register.

Comment

Originally posted by cdarmssupply View Post
                            Most of this issue could be resolved if they just let us select the default group a customer goes into when they register.
                            Or what DeanP said :)

Comment

You can do this. The registration url looks like https://www.mysite.com/register.asp?cg=0. All you need to do is change the "0" to the customer group id from the admin is. This will place them in that group when they generate an account.

Comment

Working...
                              X